Feeling Outpriced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling Outpriced

I've not posted in a long time as the introduction of R series cameras and lenses are leaving me feeling Outpriced in the photography hobby.
    Does anyone else feel the same.
    I still have my trusty 7D and various lenses and invested into the M series with a couple of M6 mkii bodies and various canon and sigma ef-m lenses.
    I do like the look of the R7 but won't be purchasing one as it's not designed to take a vertical grip and the pricing of rf lenses are extortionate.
    It has now come to the point if I should even carry on with my eos magazine subscription.
    I know times change and cameras improve but it's turning into a hobby I just cannot afford to keep up with.

Am I alone in thinking this.

Alan
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Whilst I've 'added' an R7 to my camera bag I'm still using my 7D2 and 5D3 and intend to do so for the foreseeable future.

I've no RF lenses, my EF lenses work fine with the adapter.

Don't think there is a need to 'keep up', I still use my 60D from time to time and it's still capable of taking excellent images.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Alan, although I got the R5 - 100/500 l still use my 1D and 5D frequently. In fact the 100/500 has not come off the R5 since the day I bought it. For any Macro or Landscape I use my EF lens on the two mentioned bodies. I have no intention of investing in any further R lens.
      Just look at the excellent shots that are posted on here, a lot taken with non digital body and lens.
      My advice is get out there take some pictures and post them. No one is going to look down on you because they were taken with a 7D.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Campbell View Post
        I know times change and cameras improve but it's turning into a hobby I just cannot afford to keep up with.

Am I alone in thinking this.

Alan
        Do you need to 'keep up' in terms of having the latest kit? I stuck with my trusty 40D for nearly 10 years before succumbing to temptation and buying an 80D on a Black Friday deal and you know what ?, I still prefer the 40D... In fact my latest 'upgrade' was an original 5D MkI - hardly the latest all singing, all dancing piece of kit. Indeed a fair few of the pix I've posted recently were taken my antiquated (in digital terms) D30 which I've had for nearly 20 years and still enjoy using despite it's challenges.

In the end photography is surely more about the images than the kit. Remember the old adage; "All the gear and no idea"...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hi Alan, like you I still have the 7D as my main camera and still occasionally use my 400D. I don't feel you have to "keep up" with the latest gear if you are happy with your kit. I would like the new R7, not for the reason of wanting the latest equipment but purely for the advanced focussing capabilities for wild life photography - but it will have to wait.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I’m another of the ‘no need to keep up brigade’ and agree with Alan’s comments regarding the price of RF lenses.
            I currently use a 9 year old 6D with a number of L lenses, some bought used, collected over a number of years. Additionally a used M5 with a few EF-M lenses for a lighter kit and I’m more than happy.
            I rarely shoot anything that moves (!) so have no need for the bells and whistles of the current R range.

Bob
            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill53 View Post
              Hi Alan, like you I still have the 7D as my main camera and still occasionally use my 400D. I don't feel you have to "keep up" with the latest gear if you are happy with your kit. I would like the new R7, not for the reason of wanting the latest equipment but purely for the advanced focussing capabilities for wild life photography - but it will have to wait.
              Same for me, the AF was main interest. So far it's looking promising getting more keepers of BIF.

Going back some time at the camera club I went to, one guy always wanted latest gear. Got some bargain near new stuff off him.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Although the L lenses are extortionately priced and some of the bodies this situation is changing with R7, R10 etc. I have an excellent collection of non-L glass which compares in price with older EF system lenses...RF16, 50, 24-105, 100-400, 600 all STM. There are numerous reviews that cant split the images in terms of quality with L glass. Much better value and lighter too.

The only pressure to change your system is the marketeers.....who are supposed to satisfy us...not the other way around.

Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Some great replies there folks.

Having used my M6mkii bodies and lenses I feel that the future is indeed mirrorless.
                  Things are moving fast in the photography hobby.
                  I understand too what you are all saying about no need to change, but if I really did have the need to change I couldn't justify paying the prices of the new kit anyway.
                  It's definitely the marketeers running the show at the moment, but thousands of pounds for a camera body is just way too much, although the R7 and R10 are at a more realistic price point for most hobby photographers.

Alan

Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

The price of the R7 seems quite inexpensive. IIRC my 7D2 cost far more than the R7 several years ago.

I can agree about RF lens prices though. I'd really like the 100-500 but at twice the cost of the R7 I can't justify buying one. Fortunately my Sigma works well with the R7.

Comment

I have to agree with what others have said, I did try out an R6 using the Canon loan arrangements (can't remember the schemes marketing name now).
                      I have looked at the R offerings and prices, to date I've not been tempted to purchase one. Mainly because I've never been able to convince myself that any of the R offerings would address any perceived shortcomings of my current equipment for my type of photography
                      As an additional consideration; I'm from Yorkshire with short arms and long pockets
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I have an R6 and only the RF24-105 kit lens. I am using my Sigma and Canon EF fit lenses. My view of the R system is that it is overpriced, and the lack of third-party lenses restricts choice. I am intending to keep my 5D Mk IVs for the present. The release of the R6 Mk 2 has done nothing to change my mind as it looks to be very poor value for money compared to the competition. My next move will almost certainly be to part exchange the R6 for a Sony. The far greater choice of lenses both Sony and third party is the main reason for this.
                        As I have said before on other threads, the RF lenses are far too expensive and the fanatical inclusion of IS in most of them is, for me, a cause of increased cost for a feature I never use. Canon have made it virtually impossible for third parties to provide lenses for the R series. This reluctance is why the R6 will almost certainly be the last Canon camera I will ever buy and will be the first of my Canon cameras to be part exchanged for a competitor's offering. That is a shame as I have used Canon cameras since 1978.
                        It is interesting to note that in the mid October edition of Amateur Photographer there was an article bemoaning the fact that Canon has resolutely blocked third party manufacturers from producing lenses for the R F mount. Nikon recently relented and now there are to be Tamron and Voigtlander lenses for the Z series and no doubt Sigma will join in as well. Sony and Fuji have accepted third party lenses for the E mount and the X mount respectively. The range of lenses available for Sony is now far more comprehensive than for RF mount and at multiple price points. This makes Sony cameras a much mor attractive proposition than Canon. This protectionist approach from Canon has made up my mind not to pursue the RF mount any further. I love my Sigma Art and Sport lenses and would wish to be able to get equivalent versions for any future mirrorless camera, that rules out Canon and sends me in the direction of the extremely capable Sony alternatives.
                        Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 13-11-2022, 21:53.
                        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I think going into the used market may be the way to go if at all I feel the need to upgrade, my worry is if I stick to the DSLR side how easy will any repairs be if needed in the future.
                          I also think Canon is making a mistake, in not allowing 3rd party lenses into the R system meaning they can price lenses to what they want without any competition..
                          I have sigma ef-m fit lenses and they are superb

Alan

Comment

Recent tests of RF lenses have done nothing to encourage me to stay. In side-by-side tests with other companies lenses they are seldom the best but almost always the most expensive. My existing kit has more 3rd party lenses than Canon lenses. This is not just because of cost several of them outperformed the Canon counterparts at the time of purchase ALL were considerably cheaper.
                            As soon as funds allow in the new year, I shall be trading my R6 in and getting a Sony A7 IV and a Sigma Sony E to EF adapter. as the starting point in my migration from Canon to Sony where I will have the choice of 259 lenses from 8 different manufacturers.
                            Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 13-11-2022, 21:55.
                            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X