Lost enthusiasm for Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost enthusiasm for Photography

Over the past year I have found my enthusiasm for photography waning, that was until I analysed why it was happening. I have been a keen photographer for over 60 years and in that time, I have moved from simple cameras through rangefinder cameras, early manual SLRs to Auto focus SLRs and finally to digital.
    The latest move was almost 2 years ago to an R6 Mirrorless camera, and therein lies the problem. It is a very good camera; it has a myriad of clever features and takes first class images, but it is boring to use. It does too much and takes away the need for me to use the skills I have built up over the years.
    I used to be proud of images I took of the Red Arrows back in the 70s with a manual focus telephoto lens on a basic SLR that had simple TTL metering and lever film advance. I seldom missed a shot including the crossover shots. I shot birds in flight, motorcycle racing, car rallying, all with manual focus.
    Much of the joy of photography for me is in using my accumulated knowledge and skill to get a picture. I have put the R6 aside and gone back to using my 5D4s which I use in full manual mode most of the time and I am back to enjoying myself.
    The mirrorless camera is not nice to use in full manual mode as it isn’t giving me the feel of a camera with an optical viewfinder.
    Anyone want to buy an R6?

Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

I already have an R6 so don’t need another. I sympathise with you and have this year bought a second hand rangefinder…with a 35mm and 50mm fast manual lenses….this is my go to system when I want to enjoy the photo taking process, but take the R6 whenever I need speed or a range of focal lengths from 16mm to 600mm….the R6 is a joy and the results are fantastic….but it’s not as engaging as the rangefinder and manual exposure.
    Theres a time for each system….I would encourage anyone to make room for a more engaging system…alongside their hi tech marvel.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
      Over the past year I have found my enthusiasm for photography waning, that was until I analysed why it was happening. I have been a keen photographer for over 60 years and in that time, I have moved from simple cameras through rangefinder cameras, early manual SLRs to Auto focus SLRs and finally to digital.
      The latest move was almost 2 years ago to an R6 Mirrorless camera, and therein lies the problem. It is a very good camera; it has a myriad of clever features and takes first class images, but it is boring to use. It does too much and takes away the need for me to use the skills I have built up over the years.
      I used to be proud of images I took of the Red Arrows back in the 70s with a manual focus telephoto lens on a basic SLR that had simple TTL metering and lever film advance. I seldom missed a shot including the crossover shots. I shot birds in flight, motorcycle racing, car rallying, all with manual focus.
      Much of the joy of photography for me is in using my accumulated knowledge and skill to get a picture. I have put the R6 aside and gone back to using my 5D4s which I use in full manual mode most of the time and I am back to enjoying myself.
      The mirrorless camera is not nice to use in full manual mode as it isn’t giving me the feel of a camera with an optical viewfinder.
      Anyone want to buy an R6?
      Whilst my enthusiasm for photography has not diminished, I am similarly disinclined to use mirrorless cameras having always used an SLR my first an Exa 500 in 1967, I have a strong preference for an optical viewfinder, the only mirrorless that worked worked for me was the Fuji xpro 1 because of the hybrid viewfinder.

I will therefore stick with my 5D /5D3/5D4 &1Ds3

Comment

I still have a Pentax Spotmatic and that is great fun to use.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

Comment

I think I can speak for all of us when I say, you're not alone Alan.

I definitely agree with what you're saying, I've never used any of the new mirrorless cameras, but I've seen the results they give and you can't fault it. However if the camera is doing all the work, then literally anybody could get an amazing image, whereas with older tech, there needs to be a bit of thought.

Im assuming based from your images that I have seen that you do this on a professional level (if you don't, then you should, because your images are ​​​​​​) and because of that you're more likely to need all the up to date tech to keep clients happy as people expect more and faster processes.

I'm pleased you've found a way to enjoy it again though. I use my film cameras when I can and I enjoy the process so much more than digital. Even just walking around with an old camera feels better. Currently trying to get to grips with my eos 3. It'd got loads of stuff on I'll never use, but its fun.

Comment

I am not a professional photographer and I never have been. I am an amateur who has had a go at most styles of photography over the years. Thank you, Nath, for the complement.
            Alan

Comment

Working...
            X