Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poster pics directly from PC

Originally posted by NickM View Post
    It's very strange. The first few times I kept getting an error message, even though it was within size. Not exactly enamoured with the thumbnail though. I don't open thumbnails, kudos do those who do, but a real disadvantage.

On other forums with vBulletin when you get a thumbnail you can usually right click on the thumbnail and post that as a full size image, but I tried that here and it doesn't work, which is a pity.

I'm not too sure why clicking a thumbnail image is a disadvantage, but your aversion to this has encouraged me to tinker around under the vBulletin bonnet. I have found a setting which enables you to upload photographs from your computer as full-size images rather than working with thumbnails.

I've tested this and it appears to work. Feedback would be welcome.

Anyone encountering the 503 error might like to try this to see if it overcomes the problem. Simply click the 'Insert image' icon (third from right in 'Quick reply' window, browse your computer to find the image, then click 'Upload file'. You will not see the image until after you have posted the message.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Yes it works, and works well. Much better than a thumbnail.
      I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

When 503 first started causing problems i experimented with a direct upload as against using flickr etc and found in every case for some reason the direct upload produced a degraded image compared to what was on my hard drive and flickr, so i never use it

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          When 503 first started causing problems i experimented with a direct upload as against using flickr etc and found in every case for some reason the direct upload produced a degraded image compared to what was on my hard drive and flickr, so i never use it.

Stan

Worth another test now that thumbnails are not involved?
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Worth another test now that thumbnails are not involved?
            try this one

9488 - wheatear.jpg

and from flickr

wheatear by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr

Although the direct upload is now better, I think the flickr still has a slight edge

Stan
            Last edited by Stan; 22-05-2013, 06:30.

flickr

Comment

Although the direct upload is now better, I think the flickr still has a slight edge

Stan

I agree, but the file size for flickr is slightly larger - 1.54MB against 1.22MB for the direct upload. I will check to see if I can increase the file size alllowed by the forum.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

but the file size for flickr is slightly larger - 1.54MB against 1.22MB for the direct upload.
                don't really understand that, although I am not at my home PC at present, I am sure the file size on my hard disk is under 300 kb

Stan

flickr

Comment

don't really understand that, although I am not at my home PC at present, I am sure the file size on my hard disk is under 300 kb

Stan
                  Probably - but I am quoting sizes when the images are opened in Photoshop.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

If you right click and look at properties the direct upload is 48484 bytes and the flickr 229332 bytes, 4 times as large which may explain to a certain extent the differences in quality

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X