Posted images lose their sharpness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted images lose their sharpness!

I find that when I post images, the details/sharpness shown on my computer,is very often "softened" on transfer to the forum. I had this problem with Photobucket and switched to Imageshack, and recently I find the same problem creeping in.
    This is very disconcerting as I would not like comments from members stating the obvious i.e the image lacks sharpness i.e it is soft etc. It is unfair on the members NOT to state this and it is unfair on the photographer when the image looks good on the computer.

I note that some members over sharpen the image before posting on the forum,making allowance for the loss of sharpness on the point of transfer.

Any idea how this could be overcome?

Many thanks
    Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Posted images lose their sharpness!

I dont think over sharpening works. You can sharpen youre RAW image, convert to JPEG and then sharpen again a little. I know of some very highly respected guys who do this. If its any consolation Ive had images change colour completely on upload and its not me or my monitor!

Comment

Any idea how this could be overcome?
      Here's one idea Nathaniel
      When people say your images are soft just use this famous quote from Henri Cartier-Bresson.
      "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."

Trev.

Comment

Well when Canon's "Project 1709" (heads in clouds and all that) is available I'll hopefully post images on that and see how they look compared with Flickr. But I've (famous last words) not had trouble with Flickr transmogrifying my images as far as I'm aware when referenced from this forum. A very curious phenomena that some suffer and other don't.

See Canon UK Press Release for Project 1709

Comment

Ah Nathaniel think how lucky you are that you can at least post images and haven't caught the 503 BUG.....
          Soon you may be the only one posting on the forum....

David
          David

Comment

Soon you may be the only one posting on the forum....
            Apparently not

IMG_0058 by mitch snapper, on Flickr

Comment

Happened to me today for the first time so as surely as the sun rises in the morning the chances of you "catching the 503 bug" are increasing.

David
              David

Comment

I do find that when posting, my poor, run of the mill pics become really fantastic and my really fantastic ones become run of the mill. Strangely, I seemed to have more run of the mill ones than really fantastic ones.
                What at the end of the day is sharpness? Is it something we Togs stumble into and cut ourselves upon in the darkness during our struggles between TV and AV? Or is it some wonky server somewhere out there in the ether of time and the unfathomable world of binary code? I think the latter.
                My sharp pics become dull, my dull ones sharp. My perfect ones fall to a mediocrity that can only be blamed on the system. When they leave me they are works of art, worthy of any hanging on any wall in any palace. I have found though through experience and the odd Pic Head Hitter that I am retrieving my sacred workings in light from the waste bin.
                One as to smile at the unanswerable questions in life.
                Cheers
                Treff
                p.s. sent to make nathaniel smile, somethings we will never know.

Comment

Brilliant shot Trev; so clear,sharp etc.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Thanks for all your comments guys. I do get fed up when I find that the images I post are sometimes so unlike the ones on my computer so much so I wonder whether it is my camera,or lens, or both; to get over this issue I have become a big pest to a good and kind forum member who doesn't mind my attaching some pics to my e-mails to get some sort of assuarance.

Comment

I often wonder if the image hosting sites do 'things' on the fly that potentially impact the quality ... happen they try some form of 'compression'??

But in Nat's case the hosting site appears to 'go off' over time ... all very curious.

Comment

If it were the fault of image hosts, wouldn't more people have commented on it? (Those that posted images) Just a thought.
                        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
                          If it were the fault of image hosts, wouldn't more people have commented on it? (Those that posted images) Just a thought.
                          Not unless its linked to accounts or a particular server or particular physical disk / SAN or something else. It's like the 503 error (I have suffered from on here) that seems to impact some and not others. In fact its like a lot of 'well it works for me' & 'well it doesn't work for me' my colleagues in support have to field. There will be some underlying reason ... but finding it is like guessing the winning lottery numbers every week for 3 months.

Comment

That's a fair comment, tricky to pinpoint in that situation. I wonder if an email to the host company explaining the issue might help, ask for a server switch etc.
                            Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                            http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                            https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
                              That's a fair comment, tricky to pinpoint in that situation. I wonder if an email to the host company explaining the issue might help, ask for a server switch etc.
                              I did this several weeks ago and we had a server switch a while back.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X