Printing photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing photos

Can any one suggest how I can get a true print of the picture that I see on my screen. Generally I find that the print is satisfatory for my needs but some times the prints are not up to my satisfaction especially when taking portraits .
    I use a Canon Pixma Pro 9000, and the Canon inks and paper

Re: Printing photos

My first question would be have you calibrated the monitor and also set up correct calibration for your printer and the papers that you are using? If you have then have you turned off the printer control of colours and set the printer to use the correct calibration file and have the post processing SW manage. He colours?

Comment

I cannot answer your question as I don't print any of my pics at home,mainly because of the cost of ink- the Canon cartridges are quite expensive. I send my pics on line either to Photobox or Snap mad(a firm connected to the 7 day shop). I get satisfactory prints from them. Photobox is highly recommended by Consumer Which? They will also re-do prints free that are not to your satisfaction.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

As stated earlier. You need a fully colour-managed flow from camera to paper. This includes the use of bespoke icc profiles and a colour calibrated monitor/printer The cheapest way of achieving this is by buying a monitor calibrator (c.£100) and using paper from firms such as Permajet who will scan your test prints and send you a bespoke profile for free. I have also had a lot of success using the Blurb Books module in Lightroom 4. There is often a discount coupon to be found and a 40 page hard-backed book for c.£30 including delivery is not bad value. If you want to do the whole thing 'in-house' then I have used Spyder Print Studio with a lot of success. I have reduced the whole cost of home printing by using a CIS ink system and cheaper papers. (Have a look at Permajet and Marrutt). Finally, a warning, if you intend to send test prints for scanning then it is imperative that all colour management is turned off in both the software and the printer. The resulting profile is designed to 'correct' the colour flow from your PC to the printer so that what you seen on the screen is what you will see on the paper. I only mention this as it took me some weeks to find out that printing a test image from PS5 wasn't colour-managed free. Adobe has now published a utility for printing test images to circumvent this problem (Adobe Color Printer Utility).

Comment

Working...
        X