Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test

I've just had the dreaded 503 message when trying to post in portraits so I want to test a theory.

Previously, I broke the wicked spell by posting in another category, and I suspect that this post in another category might just kick start me again in the category that I am currently unable to post in.

If my theory fails, sorry for wasting your time. If it succeeds, perhaps it will give some IT guru enough of a clue that he can fix this ongoing issue.

Andy

Re: Test

Nope, didn't work. I'll try posting in another category instead

Comment

But as you will see, I did manage to post it in the B&W section. mmm...

Comment

And once I posted another picture in another category, I was no longer blocked from the portrait category.
        Robert, hope that gives your IT guy some clues as to what's going on
        Sorry to waste everyone else's time
        Andy

Comment

I have been trying to post since yesterday afternoon with no joy. .

You must have the 'magic touch' Andy. I tried your theory - i.e. posting to different categories - and it didn't work

Dave

PS I tried 3 different categories including B & W.
          www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Damn... thought I'd found the key. Sorry to have raised your hopes, Dave

Comment

Just did my own experiment Andy. Have been trying to post from SmugMug with no success so I tried Flickr ...... it worked!!!

Dave
              www.trikietowers.com

Comment

It has nothing to do with Smugmug or 'that other site' it seems to be a glitch that just pops up from time to time and almost impossible to replicate when you want to.

What I do:

Write a post, add photo's and the dreaded 503 message appears.
                Click on the 'back' arrow.
                Select all the text I have just tried to post (including links etc) and cut it - CTRL C
                Add a very short line of text "new post coming" and submit
                Go into your new post that HAS worked and press edit
                Select the line of text and delete
                Add back in your previous cut text - CTRL V
                Submit and. . . . . TAADAA all done.

Sounds a lot but in reality it takes a minute at the most. Hope that helps

.DAVID.
                Last edited by David Stallard; 14-02-2013, 06:25.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks David I have printed your 'fix' off .... and hope I don't have to use it!

Dave
                  www.trikietowers.com

Comment

I have just failed at posting in Nature - plants etc., but found success in Landscape. Wrong section, but better than seeing 503 yet again!!

Originally posted by DP the Snapper View Post
                    I have been trying to post since yesterday afternoon with no joy. .

You must have the 'magic touch' Andy. I tried your theory - i.e. posting to different categories - and it didn't work

Dave

PS I tried 3 different categories including B & W.

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                      It has nothing to do with Smugmug or 'that other site' it seems to be a glitch that just pops up from time to time and almost impossible to replicate when you want to.

What I do:

Write a post, add photo's and the dreaded 503 message appears.
                      Click on the 'back' arrow.
                      Select all the text I have just tried to post (including links etc) and cut it - CTRL C
                      Add a very short line of text "new post coming" and submit
                      Go into your new post that HAS worked and press edit
                      Select the line of text and delete
                      Add back in your previous cut text - CTRL V
                      Submit and. . . . . TAADAA all done.

Sounds a lot but in reality it takes a minute at the most. Hope that helps

.DAVID.
                      David, I frequently set up a post in a word document as I find it easier to copy and edit links in the document than in he forum post but when I hit he 503 error the other day I found it was the links to the images on either Flickr or Photobucket that caused the issue, take them out and I could pos put hem back in and the post failed. The text was copied to the post with the Ctrl C and Ctrl V commands.

Comment

I know that sometimes this seems to work. But posting to "wrong" threads defeats the whole object and purpose in having categories for different areas of photography. For example it would be inappropiate to post artistic nudes to a nature thread! I think this is something for the EOS technical staff to resolve, hopefully quickly too.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Yes, Nathaniel, I entirely agree that posting in the 'wrong' thread is not really the answer - just frustrating after spending time to get the images ready to post and meeting with failure!!
                          After initial problems yesterday, I was bale to post several images with no trouble. I think it's best just to re-post - rather than "try later"!!

As you say, I am sure the technical staff are on the case and I hope they can find a solution - good luck to them!

Comment

Diana, have found this trouble to my cost- wasted time. So I sometimes post pics one by one,then press the save key to see whether I get the dreaded message. If it comes up I stop at once, if it doesn't come up, then I continue to post say another one or two,and then press Save to see whether they have come through. However, now I find that nothing comes up in the previous photo format.

The problem with posting to wrong threads is the danger that my 3 young grand children aged from 7 yrs to 14, see images which I wouldn't like them to see. They very often like to see the photos on the Forum, not only mine but posted by other members esp the nature ones. It is also my method of getting them interested in photography. I may be a "prude" but I certainly wouldn't like them to see "nudes" in whatever art form say in the nature thread- wild animals,birds etc. That would not only annoy me but also give the impression to these young children that the Canon forum is not what it is supposed to show under particular threads.

I am sure you understand where I am coming from.

Regards
                            Nathaniel
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Yes, Nathaniel, I entirely agree that posting in the 'wrong' thread is not really the answer - just frustrating after spending time to get the images ready to post and meeting with failure!!
                              After initial problems yesterday, I was bale to post several images with no trouble. I think it's best just to re-post - rather than "try later"!!

As you say, I am sure the technical staff are on the case and I hope they can find a solution - good luck to them!

Comment

Working...
                              X