Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Menu settings - is there a way of making a hard copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menu settings - is there a way of making a hard copy?

Hi! It is a long time since I was a regular reader of this forum (and very occasional contributor), so please forgive me if I am raising a topic that has been raised earlier – although I have not been able to find it by searching.
    I gave up my 5D Mk4 and EF lenses as my aged bones made it difficult to handle as steadily as I once did, and bought the R, but it and I did not really get on so when the R6 was introduced the IBS made it a no brainer. However, although the R6 is a great camera, the rub is its complexity. Nina Bailey’s handbook is a great help, but with the aged bones comes an imperfect memory, so consequently the menu system is something of a minefield!
    Does anyone know of a technique that will enable a user to download to the memory card a full list of current setting for the various options, including Custom Settings? At least then I would have a convenient reference to ponder over! Perhaps if there is no such facility, then there will be enough members who would find this useful to make a case to Canon to include in a future update?

Martin

I’ve never heard of such a thing. If you have a phone with a camera perhaps you could take pics of each menu screens you want to record? Just a thought, it’s probably the cheapest option, apart from pen and paper that is.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Does anyone know of a technique that will enable a user to download to the memory card a full list of current setting for the various options, including Custom Settings? At least then I would have a convenient reference to ponder over! Perhaps if there is no such facility, then there will be enough members who would find this useful to make a case to Canon to include in a future update?
      There is such a feature on a handful of the pro-level EOS cameras. It was added to the R5 with firmware v 1.3, but it's not available on the EOS R6 unfortunately. The feature is called Save/load camera settings: see https://www.eos-magazine.com/article...-settings.html

So any technique will have to be one of manual recording – whether that's taking photos as Farider suggests, or writing in a notebook. Nina does also have a Pocketbook for the EOS R6, which is designed as a small pocketable aide memoire when out and about, if you'd find that easier.

Comment

I find a good old fashioned notebook a great help. That said I’m using a 7 year old 6D which is hardly a complicated beast!
        I also use a M5 which I got to dip my toe into mirrorless where the notebook gets a fair amount of use.
        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Make notes on your mobile phone, you can then reference them when needed. I keep all sorts of infor on my phone including my address - handy if I forget where I live
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Wonder if this could be of help, these are from my R5 and i don't know if the R6 has the same there are 3 custom modes C1,2,3 where you can set up different settings for different types of shooting also you can set even more by saving to a card Yellow 5 menu save to card, also there are 3 My Menus where you can save 6 of your favoured adjustments to go straight to the page in the menu system

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
              Make notes on your mobile phone, you can then reference them when needed. I keep all sorts of infor on my phone including my address - handy if I forget where I live
              Good idea Trev.

My problem is I like to take notes of everything (not just photography) & I can write quicker than I can type!

Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I do have Nina's handbook , and very welcome it was when I got it - but it is a bit is like having a route-map but forgetting how you got to where you are! I also have a notebook - but the practical problem with the writing it down or photographing solutions is that they do not lend themselves to quick and easy reference as you then have to remember something different, i.e. what did I call it and where did I write it down. Pathetic, I know, but the fact that some options are excluded by the choice of other options is also a complication - and I was hoping for avoidance of complicaiton. If I was dealing with a database on the PC I could write a query and call on it at will - I bet those clever folks at Canon can do that for the R6 if they have a mind to!

On the basis of what I have learned from this exchange, I shall have to soldier on - or save for an R5 (small chance there I'm afraid), but thanks again, anyway!

Martin

Comment

Working...
                X