Monthly Theme for October - Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly Theme for October - Trees

The theme for October is Trees. This can be as wide a brief as you like to give you the best opportunity of finding some cracking pics!

The basics :

This is not a competition, it's purely for fun.
    All photos should be your own and be taken within the month of the chosen theme.
    You can post as many photos as you wish.
    Comments on submitted photos are welcome.
    Please include the exif details (these may be helpful to other members).
    All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series.
    The chosen theme, should be as inclusive as possible.

I look forward to seeing your entries!

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

All shot this month ....

Comment

Those are great pics Doug, thanks for sharing them, appreciated.

Ian
      Ian

Comment

Lovely set Doug, my vote goes for pic 6. I absolutely love that one.

could you share how you achieved it?
        I’d love to learn .

Comment

Great set Doug, another vote for No six a cracking shot
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thank you all :)

Comment

Rose: I think I can point you in the right direction at least.
              Most modern software can do this kind of select colour editing - the editing isn't the problem, it's choosing a suitable subject.
              I have had the best results when the photo has a minimum number of colours in it AND those colours are quite different to each other.
              This photo had only two colours - purpleish & green (all the trees behind these jacaranda were green & only green) so it met the criteria above.
              If you choose a photo with many colours, they tend to bleed into one another when you try to isolate them & it never seems to work for me.

I use Lightroom for most editing but there is a free photo editor called Gimp which is very capable of this sort of editing.
              You can download a full free version of it here:

And here are some very easy instructions to edit out all colour except one using Gimp:
              Some of the most fascinating pictures available show a black and white image with only one other color left visible. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open source software package that gives you the ability to edit images to do this.

If you have Photoshop you might want to try these instructions:
              Use the Adobe Photoshop software to turn a full-color image to a black and white, or grayscale, picture with just a few clicks, with no special settings on the camera required.

I hope this helps :)

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderhill View Post
                Lovely set Doug, my vote goes for pic 6. I absolutely love that one.

could you share how you achieved it?
                I’d love to learn .
                I have added some instructions for you but couldn't copy/paste them into the quote function & wanted you to see such via the Message centre!

Comment

Thank you so much Doug for this, it was very kind & helpful.
                  I’ll enjoy trying it out over the next few weeks - who knows I may even post the best of the experiment!
                  Rose.

Comment

We are lucky enough to have a large willow tree in the garden - I was hoping for a bit of setting sun to light it up, but no such luck this evening.

I decided to try my Samyang 10mm lens for this - I'm reasonably pleased.

Willow and sky by John Liddle, on Flickr
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

That’s a good pic John , and well controlled too.
                      Ian

Comment

John,
                        A great pic, I love the effect of the clouds emanating from a point behind the tree which seem to draw you in.
                        The tree must be a firm favourite with the birds.
                        Rose.

Comment

DougZ, beautiful set number 3 does it for me.@ John stunning image and very well framed.

Comment

The tree in the garden that put on the best autumn show is coming into full colour so while the sun was shining today I took the opportunity to take some pics. The colours are brilliant and considerably better than the acer, probably because the acer is now elderly. I am not sure of the name of the tree but I would think that it was originally from warmer climates as it is always the very last to come into full leaf and the first to start shutting down.

E2516113-BCAB-4CCE-9A38-474D24B69B92 by Ian, on Flickr

C181ED56-7E0F-40C9-B3D8-5E06642698A5 by Ian, on Flickr

69E83432-E5B3-4B94-8150-1864B026B9DD by Ian, on Flickr

ABFE2190-DE80-452C-84D1-9FBEB4412DF1 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
                            Ian

Comment

Great set Ian. Pic 1 gets my vote, although pic 4 is a close runner.
                              Lovely to have such a colourful tree in your garden.
                              Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X