Theme for June - Bright & Cheerful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theme for June - Bright & Cheerful

The theme for June is Bright & Cheerful. As usual you can interpret this in an way you like; any subject, view or perspective, any size, any location, whatever appeals to you.

The basics :
    • This is not a competition, it's purely for fun.
    • All photos should be your own and be taken within the month of the chosen theme.
    • You can post as many photos as you wish.
    • Comments on submitted photos are welcome.
    • Please include the exif details (these may be helpful to other members).
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series (but not necessarily a canon lens).
    • The chosen theme, should be as inclusive as possible.

I look forward to seeing some inspirational entries!

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Olivia enjoying the sun
    Attached Files
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Lovely Alan, good to see a post!

Ian
      Ian

Comment

We’ll, just the single entry, thanks Alan, a little bit disappointing. One response last month and one this.
        what does the forum want? Is there a consensus to continue the monthly theme or does everyone want to give it a break?
        Does someone else want to run it?
        please let me know. I am going to wait until I hear before I set the next theme

Ian
        Ian

Comment

I would suggest giving it a break for say 6 months before considering resurrecting it.
          Over the 7 years that I’ve been on the forum I have seen similar swings of enthusiasm.
          I’m sad to see the poor response- as with the photo challenges and end of year contests - but that’s the way it is . Folks have their own agenda …….
          Thank you for your sterling work.
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

It's a shame that so many people are shy about showing their work on this forum. It's the same with local clubs. Everyone seams to prefer to show pictures on Social Media rather than on a site like this. Maybe it the fear of criticism. A pity as I have had some great suggestions on improving my shots from this and other similar sites. It is a great way to learn more and improve your pictures. I have been an active amateur photographer for over 60 years (yes I really am that old) and I am still learning.
            As to the question of Monthly Themes, I do suspect that many forum members are unaware that they exist. Perhaps a bit of publicity is called for, maybe a bit of coverage in the Magazine might help.
            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

Comment

Thank you Bo and Alan for your replies, they’re are appreciated.

I think that it is time to call a halt to the monthly theme, there seems to be a general lack of enthusiasm. Many Thanks to everyone who has contributed to it for the period I’ve been setting it, there have been excellent submissions and all were appreciated.

Ian
              Ian

Comment

I actually prefer to enter the monthly themes rather than the competition. It's great for feedback, I'm always hesitant with the competition just purely because I've had some negative feedback in the past from local clubs. (however I know this place is different as the one I did enter gave amazing feedback)

I think Alan is on to something though, maybe some publicity in the magazine would be a good option. I know they run the competitions with a prize for the winner but maybe even a small article with the previous months entries in would boost exposure

​​​​Not sure if it would make a difference or not but might be worth changing one of the rules to any picture taken within a 12 month period as long as it fits the theme for example. If like myself people haven't gotten out in the last few months then they've nothing to post. But might have something fitting to post from a different date. I get that it's supposed to make us get out and look for photos but it could spur on more people to post into the topic. Possibly?

I've been alot quieter lately and not shown anything purely because I've been rushed of my feet with work commitments. But getting back normal now so Im hoping so mothly themes don't disappear.
                Last edited by NathCarr91; 03-07-2022, 15:28.

Comment

Being someone who don't enter either the Monthly Challenge or Monthly Theme. For no other reason than the subjects are specific - I don't go out to take a particular pictures, I take pictures when I'm out. When I see a monthly subject for the Challenge or Theme come up - I often think, pity that was not a month or so ago, I would have had a suitable shot.
                  What about scrapping both the Monthly Challenge and Theme and have a Best Monthly Picture Submitted for the month from any of the categories.
                  Just my thoughts!
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Firstly, grateful thanks to Ian for setting these themes over the last many months.

I am inclined towards Trev's suggestion of a "Post the picture that pleased you most this month". The only proviso I think might be needed is that it should not merely be a duplicate of something that has already been posted under one of the subject themes.
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                      Firstly, grateful thanks to Ian for setting these themes over the last many months.

I am inclined towards Trev's suggestion of a "Post the picture that pleased you most this month". The only proviso I think might be needed is that it should not merely be a duplicate of something that has already been posted under one of the subject themes.
                      What I had in mind was a vote by members of pictures posted within the month. How it would be achieved or conducted I don't know, it would be necessary to give every picture a unique number which more than likely would involve admin - who might not be to thrilled at the idea.
                      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

I think we can forget involving admin.
                        They are not going to give out numbers or count votes . This is our forum and if we can't drum up the enthusiasm or organise ourselves then no-one will do it for us

It may be worth exploring having a Picture of the Month to replace the theme and the Challenge. Since the challenge is currently dwindling and one possibility is that folks cant find a suitable picture to correspond to the challenge, then putting forward your best photo taken in that month ( or taken the previous month and processed in that month ?) would be an option

Mind you, previous challenges without a guide rope such as "nifty 50" "My best pic" "Open Theme" "It makes me laugh" have also fallen flat. Historically, folks seem to need the title to make the Challenge or Theme.

Forget asking all those who have participated to vote ! Believe me - as one who has run the End Of Year Showcase - people need chivying or vote politically so as to promote their own

So were are back to -say- August pictures - being judged by one person early September..
                        OK so far.
                        And if you win you judge the September pictures etc

Do you want comments from the judge ? Personally I think they are valuable particularly for newcomers . But it is of course just one person's views and we all see a picture differently.

I don,t think I have a solution, unfortunately. But I put my comments in here so as to see what others may add to it and see where we go.
                        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Having done a fair amount of Club judging over the years, a best picture of the month presents so many problems for a judge. It the 'comparing chalk with cheese' problem. A luck street capture is very hard to judge against a technically difficult macro of mating dragonflies. Developing comment over multiple genres is very hard as you need a real in depth knowledge of all aspects of photography.

The problem is that the forum has very few regular picture contributors. We need to encourage more participation, generally. The site is a bit dull and not really as inviting as it could be.

Unfortunately I can't offer a simple solution as to pep the site up up would require a complete and complicated rebuild and require a much higher level of maintenance. That, probably, makes it impossible to achieve..
                          Alan

Comment

Yes, I take on board Bo's and Alan's comments and can see there would be problems - many of them!
                            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Alan has another good point. Also I think the site is a little difficult to use at first. Especially for uploading images. Say from a mobile device. It Could almost do with a mobile friendly revamp. Or could maybe spur more users if it was on say discord or something like that. The pushing film discord server is non stop all day.

I don't know about everybody else but in terms of members active, It only ever seems like a dozen or so active members are online and others are just non members that are browsing. Like now for example it says 256 people online 5 members and the rest are guests. So it does get alot of traffic but Maybe we need to intise them to join up. Surely there would be more posts then?

There's one thing though...... This discussion has encouraged a few posts
                              Last edited by NathCarr91; 05-07-2022, 20:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X