Hello from Ventura, California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Ventura, California

Hello all, my name is Tom Moon, and I live on the California coast. I've been a subscriber to EOS Magazine for a year and a half. It's wonderfully informative and helpful to me as an EOS user.

I am a retired professional photographer. I started photography as a photomicrographer, moved into medical photography, and finished off my career working in cultural heritage digitization. I bought my first Canon camera back in 1971 when I started out, and still have a closet full of analogue cameras and lenses. I decided to learn digital photography in 1999, buying a Kodak digital camera, an iMac and Photoshop. I then purchased a Canon EOS D30, the first Canon full frame 35mm format camera shortly after. I have had a number of EOS DSLRs since then, and am now using a D5 Mark IV. It's been interesting moving up through the EOS digital line of cameras, as I have to learn enough new features to remain competent. I must admit that I had thought I had met my match with the Mk IV, but reading the manual and finding EOS Magazine got me back on track. The content of this magazine, and of the books That Nina writes have been so helpful in learning the newly added features of the camera. In a lot of ways, the old manual film cameras were simpler to operate. Now, with all the embedded software, and truly astounding hardware, I can achieve much more in less time, of course after I have found all the menu items I need. The photographic world has certainly remained interesting. As a final note, I actually chose technical photography as a profession all those years ago, because I reasoned that I would always learn something new each day in my attempt to keep current, and I would be able to apply this to my desire to record what I saw. In retrospect, I was right.

I am basically shy and quiet, so I may not contribute much, but I will try to be an active member of this great community. I do like seeing all your work, and hope that my efforts will live up to the high standards that I see.

Welcome Tom from sunny California, that is some career you have had, you do not say what type of photography you like now, but whatever it is we will look forward to your shots.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tom, it is a friendly place so do join in! I look forward to seeing some of your pics.

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

And it’s welcome from me Tom
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Correction: the D30 was not a full frame camera. My nostalgia of how exciting it was to use got the better of me.

Thank you for welcoming me. I am currently working on photomacrography and close-up. If I come up with images to share, I will, but first I will have to get an account with Filckr, something I have avoided until now.

Comment

Hi Tom and welcome from me too.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tom
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Welcome from me too Tom, I shall look forward to seeing some of your images
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by tmoon View Post
                  Correction: the D30 was not a full frame camera. My nostalgia of how exciting it was to use got the better of me.
                  Perfectly understandable, I still get a bit excited when using mine as it's so much less complicated than the latest kit..

Welcome to the forum.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Welcome to this excellent friendly forum Tom.
                    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tom. Looking forward to seeing some images.
                      http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Welcome Tom, don't be shy post some of your work, all you will get is great advice on how to improve your skills.

Comment

HI Tom and welcome

I spent a few days in Ventura while holidaying in California a few years ago and well remember how people would congregate on the beach to watch the sunset so I fully expect sunsets to feature in your photography.

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

Hi Tom, welcome.

Nice to meet you.

Ted

Comment

Welcome Tom, lovely place to live, look forward to your shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X