Financial Ombudsman Service, bank etc- a word of caution- watch this space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Ombudsman Service, bank etc- a word of caution- watch this space

I thought I would put this here more as a word of warning to all other members who might have similar problems or worse than mine. To put things briefly, I got transferred to a packed account by my bank in 2010 (which I came out after 12 months) on the internet by the bank. This package account was useless to me as I was only interested in the travel insurance bit as I was over 70 years of age then. The bank was fully aware of my age when they automatically transferred my account to a packaged,fee paying account.

Due to personal reasons, mostly healthwise, I referred this complaint to the FOS in March of this year- outside the 6 months limit I did this on the express permission of the bank which stated that it was the sole decision of the FOS to accept or reject my claim which was outside the 6 months limit. I also actually got permission from the Chief Executive of the bank (London HQ office), as well as from HM Treasury via George Osborne's office. I sent in my complaint in March of this year and FOS accepted my complaint and wrote to the bank for details in May 2015. I also completed a lengthy questionaire for the FOS re the packaged account. I did not hear anything further as these matters take a bit of time.

However, lo and behold I received a e-mail letter first from the FOS followed by their letter in the post, stating that they cannot accept my complaint outside the 6 months limit as the bank had OBJECTED to the FOS taking up my complaint after the 6 months limit.

I have now played merry hell both with the FOS,the Bank and have also lodged a formal complaint with the Financial Conduct Authority re this BREACH OF CONTRACT, when I had accepted the direct offer from the bank to take the complaint to the FOS which was accepted by me, and the acceptance by FOS my complaint outside the 6 months limit
    by letter and writing to the bank to submit their papers etc.

I have more or less questioned the integrity of the bank & the FOS (which was set up to help consumers with financial complaints) and have called in the FCA to give credence to their aims " we aim to make sure that financial markets work well so that consumers get a fair deal". I have also told the FCA that " I trust that these are not merely weasal words"!.

So I hope the members will watch this space. I have also now lodged a NEW complaint with the FOS against the bank for "withdrawing their consent" to take this complaint outside the 6 months limit- a complaint which is now different to the one about the packaged bank account.

I am now 80 years of age, and I should have a trouble free life in the years ahead but this is not to be!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Financial Ombudsman Service, bank etc- a word of caution- watch this space

I'm sorry to hear that...you shouldn't have to put up with this bad behaviour of these faceless organisations, thankfully you have the temerity to follow it through....make sure you look after yourself as it must be stressful...can you not get help from the CAB or have someone represent you?
    Good luck!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian for your comment and good wishes. The thing here is that it is only I who know my case insides out and todate,despite my age,my marbles are still intact & I can see things through-still. Furthermore, most people tell me that I don't look and act my age (!!) which I put down to my previous sporting activities like-Cricket,Table Tennis & Badminton (have been champion in the latter two both in Cardiff and Manchester-Tameside). This could well be my last "hurrah"!- to put these faceless organisations on a better footing for all and sundry in this country. Furthermore,injustice of all types simply GALLS ME.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hope it ends to your benefit Nat.

Bill.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Bill. This is what I call the present "integrity" you find in the business world & it needs cleaning up.

Comment

Give 'em hell Nat !!!!
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

You can bet on that John. It does take a lot off me but I do not give in to "bullies" and liars like this.

Comment

More power to your elbow Nat. You've got to stick to your guns and be bloodyminded. I had a fight with my insurance company who would replace only some of the carpets in my flat after a fire and they just wouldn't concede. In the end I went to the FOS. I'm a retired Solicitor and let them know that from the outset. In their blurb they say that most claims are settled within 3 months and the rest within 6. My experience was that it took 12 months almost to the day. A girl in the FOS who was dealing with my case left them (was she pushed or did she jump?) but in the end justice prevailed and I got all I was entitled to plus interest. So hang on in there!

scotsdave
                EOS 5D; EOS 7D; 50mm f1.8 (mk I); 28/80mm f3.5/5.6 (Mk IV); 24/105mm f4 L IS; 70/200mm f4 L IS; 1.4 X TC; Sigma 10/20mm f3.5 DC HSM; Sigma 18/50mm f2.8/4.5 DC OS HSM; Speedlite 430EX II.

Comment

Thanks Scotsdave for your comment. Really gave me good bottle. I am still fighting my case. I have now found out that there is a bit of collusion between the FOS and the bank. The bank gave me permission to submit my claim outside the 6 months limit and the FOS accepted my complaint. Then the bank refused and said I had submitted my claim late-outside the 6 months limit and hence the FOS cannot go ahead. I had told the FOS that the bank had given permission in the first place and it appears that it never had any intentions of letting the complaint go ahead. Now the FOS wants,once again to go through my reasons for submitting my claim late, after it had accepted my complaint in the first place. The whole thing stinks and I have not only written to George Osborne with supporting documents but also requested my MP to raise this matter as a question in the House of Commons. So watch this space.

Comment

Nat, stick to your guns. You don't need a lawyer to fight it for you (with all due respect to my late profession) any more than you need the "assistance" advertised by the firms for PPI claims. You know the facts and have the info to hand. You'll see from my previous post that it can be a long-drawn out affair (to make you give up?). You just have to keep at them.

scotsdave
                    EOS 5D; EOS 7D; 50mm f1.8 (mk I); 28/80mm f3.5/5.6 (Mk IV); 24/105mm f4 L IS; 70/200mm f4 L IS; 1.4 X TC; Sigma 10/20mm f3.5 DC HSM; Sigma 18/50mm f2.8/4.5 DC OS HSM; Speedlite 430EX II.

Comment

Not to worry Scotsdave. I am not easily put off on principles of right and wrong. I know it could be a long haul but I have the time and patience to fight this through.

Comment

I had major problems with a claim from holiday insurance & ended up going to the Ombudsman. I had a routine test (only because of family history - not because they thought I had a problem) done just 4 months before my big holiday to NZ where it was found I had a large growth in my bowel which led to major surgery 3 weeks later. My consultant said I would not be able to go away because I definitely would not be fit enough and said any letters I needed for the insurance company he would do. We contacted the holiday company who themselves were very helpful but the insurance company even though we'd filled out the forms & sent the supporting letters would not pay out & also kept asking for more info such as 2 years worth of all my medications & any health issues which we had been declared when taking out the policy. It was very stressful but we persevered & the ombudsman eventually helped in getting things sorted but it took over 6 months for them to eventually agree & pay out! What made us cross about it all is that I had to cancel only because I was told that I would not be fit to travel at all due to long recovery period needed & possibility of me having to go through Chemo. It didn't exactly help with recovery due to stress of it all.

You do have to keep going with these things Nat you know you have the right on your side. I do hope it is sorted soon for you.
                        Sue

Comment

Thanks for your post Sue. I trust you are fully recovered now. My problem now is a matter of "collusion" between FOS and the bank. There is no question about the underhand activities of the bank but I am annoyed that the FOS wishes to go back once again to it's approval (given in May 2015)of taking on my complaint after the 6 months limit just because the bank has reneged on it's jurisdictional permission given twice- Feb and March 2015. I am also annoyed that the FOS, without my permission is anxious to bring an Ombudsman to this second review so that he or she can say that I am out of limit and then that would be FINAL;the law as it is that one cannot go back against an Ombudsman's decision unless I take the matter to the courts. So I have strongly objected and refused the FOS any permission to get an ombudsman to review the acceptance,already given.
                          You can just see how the FOS operates. I can actually write a book about what is going on in our financial sector.

Comment

I would like to add that getting justice in UK at the moment is like banging one's head against a brick wall. See what is happening to the soldier & the Taliban; look at the case of Stephen Lawrence... et al. My late father will be turning in his grave to see what is happening to the British sense of justice and fair play!

Comment

Working...
                            X