Traveling with the M6 MKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling with the M6 MKII

In this thread, I will attempt to give you my thoughts on the EOS M6 MKII and how it handled in our recent trip.

I sold my M5 and purchased the M6 MKII Kit that comes with the optical view finder and the 15-45mm EF-M Lens. Purchased this for the purpose of having kit that is easy to travel with and would give my the same quality as it's older brother the EOS R but not the weight and bulk the R has with the RF 24-105 L.

Here is the Kit that I took on our trip to London for our cruise from Southampton to Hamburg, to Rotterdam, to Amsterdam, to La Havre, then back to South Hampton.

369A5996_DxO by tesarver, on Flickr

In the Kit was the NISI Filter Kit with a 6 & 9 Stop ICE ND filter and a 2 & 3 stop ND Grad filters. Lens cleaning cloths (needed as it either misted or rain everyday of the trip). Remote trigger, 3 spare batteries for the M6 & 2 packs of AA Batteries for 270 EX Flash. A level that fits on the flash shoe. Lenses in the kit: Canon EF-M 11-22mm, Tamron EF-S 18-400mm, Canon EF-M Adapter, Canon EF-M 15-45mm. EOS M6 MKII and the Viewfinder adapter. All of this fit into my Tamrac Shoulder bag that I had since 2004. The Tripod is a mefoto Air.

What would I eliminate from the kit next time would be the EF-M 10-22mm and the EX270 flash. The flash I didn't use as the low light capability of the M6 was good enough as I didn't need to use the flash throughout the trip. The EF-M 10-22 I used only once while in Southampton.

Except for the Windsor Castle Excursion, when off the ship the Tamron 18-400mm was on the M6 with the view finder. While on the ship, the camera configuration was the Canon EF-M 15-45mm w/o the viewfinder. This configuration made it easier to carry the camera to meals, shows, or any of the other activities that we went to on the ship, whit the 18-400 provided the variability I was looking for while on the excursions.

The Camera is slightly larger the the original lens. The Grip made it easy to carry the camera, however the the larger lens, when trying to zoom, I found the my thumb part of the hand would move around the buttons and dials on the back of the camera, changing some settings, which was a bit annoying. This happens because there is into enough space between where you place your thumb, so a little movement would cause your thumb to come in contact with the wheel or the rec button. Not a deal breaker, but annoying none the less.

As for performance the M6 was able to handled as well as it's big brother the R. In some cases, the shutter speed was far better than the R. I found nothing about the M6 to complain about. It did everything I asked it to do and the biggest plus was that the kit was light and easy to carry through the Airports, onto the planes, and onboard the ship. I had everything I needed to take a image and it was all contained in a small shoulder bag (except the tripod).

This image was taken at Zaanse Schans windmill village in Amsterdam.

IMG_0592v1 by tesarver, on Flickr

Camera was the M6 MKII with the Tamron 18-400mm and the Electronic Viewfinder, The NISI Filter Holder with a 6 Stop ND Grad on a Tripod. Settings: ISO 100, f/9 EV 0.67 0.8s

The Next Image was taken at the Windsor Castle:

IMG_0912v1 by tesarver, on Flickr

Camera M6 MKII with the EF-M 15-45mm, no View Finder, hand held. Settings: ISO 160, f/7.1 1/100

So IMO, the M6 preformed very well as a travel camera. So if you are looking for a lighter kit, I would recommend it. You will not be disappointed.

Tom

Re: Traveling with the M6 MKII

Looks like it served you well Tom, good review too.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Re: Traveling with the M6 MKII

Looks like it served you well Tom, in spite of the weather. That is a lot of kit for a small bag. Mine would be a lot larger and heavier.
      Colin

Comment

Working...
      X