Forum Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Etiquette

I joined you as an enthusiastic amateur hoping to learn from from others.
    I have been looking at the intimidatingly expert images posted each morning to find that the one thing most have in common is the absence of camera, lens and settings information.
    Is this information regarded as private and is it very poor form to ask the details?

A very good question.
    A few years ago there was a discussion on this very point and for some time afterwards posters would supply these details. Quite a lot still do and EXIF information is often shown where there is a link to Flickr. Personally I find the information useful.

Perhaps we should start doing it again. What do others think?
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

I think some of the more keen photography members on here do put the camera settings up. Personally I just take pictures as a record of what I see each day in and around my patch, sometimes further afield. I would not have a clue what the sittings were of the last picture I posted which was a Linnet, There it was sitting there - click, I like the shot so I posted it. I could not do with people looking at a picture then going into lengthy discussion on settings, whether it should have been this or that.

PS. But I've just had a look and if it helps it was, ISO 800, 560mm, f8, 1/800th.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Like Jay I would find the setting useful , its a good way of learning from others . If some do not want too thats fine as well , it doesnt need to be compulsory . I think any knowledge gain from the more experienced photographers would really helpful. As a newby i assume we all use the forum for different reasons.

Comment

I posed this very same question not long after I joined the forum.

I still find it very useful to see the EXIF details of shots.Why some members don't show them is beyond me.The majority of images on here are via Flickr and enabling EXIF on there is just a matter of going into settings to do it.

Comment

Images processed with Luminar 4 using Windows 10 have the EXIF data stripped on export!!! Been having a run in with Skylum for a few weeks over this, and been trying to help them by following directions sent and returned to them. However, I have given up, because they are just fobbing us off. Needs a patch sorted by Skylum to overcome this issue.

I will put back what EXIF details I can for future uploads
            Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

As I post my images via Flickr, I rely on folks looking there to get the exif data if they feel it is of value or interest. I don't intend to give myself any more work than is strictly necessary.
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Like John I post from Flickr so the data is available there.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I have always made my EXIF(apart for the last 3 months) thru my Flickr Acc by pressing the link on the image.
                  I am trying out Smugmug for hosting and posting my images. If any one wants to access the EXIF, double click on the image and it will take you to my Smugmug site showing EXIF.
                  Though I can understand why some photographers prefer not to show EXIF data.
                  Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

"Though I can understand why some photographers prefer not to show EXIF data."

Why would that be Gary?Fair enough if your EXIF also displays GPS data with location etc;But normal EXIF?

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                      "Though I can understand why some photographers prefer not to show EXIF data."

Why would that be Gary?Fair enough if your EXIF also displays GPS data with location etc;But normal EXIF?
                      "Though I can understand why some photographers prefer not to show EXIF data".For no other reason than, the photographer owns that image. As such, for what ever reason he/she does not have to provide EXIF that is their prerogative and I can understand and accept that.

Comment

That's fair enough,but there are some photographers,myself included,who occasionally find it useful to look at others' EXIF if they want to attempt a similar subject or shot.

I personally have no problem with having mine showing on my Flickr page if I need to refer to it and if it helps others perhaps just starting out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                          That's fair enough,but there are some photographers,myself included,who occasionally find it useful to look at others' EXIF if they want to attempt a similar subject or shot.

I personally have no problem with having mine showing on my Flickr page if I need to refer to it and if it helps others perhaps just starting out.
                          Roy we must assume if a photographer excludes the EXIF he/she is not interested if you or I find
                          their
                          EXIF useful. Sad but I believe true.
                          As I said in a prior post I always make my EXIF available.
                          Making my EXIF available has aided me, a few years ago on an other forum a member got in touch with me. After looking at my EXIF he advised me, I should increase my shutter speed for the lens I was using (Sigma 150-600mm C), I was using 1/800sec for BIF, he advised me to try 1/2000 when possible. My BIF keepers increased no end.

Comment

As you say Gary,sad but true.

I think there have been a few times on here where other members have used my EXIF to advise me on improving shots,and of course when we post shots via Flickr and people look at them,they can see what settings we used,all very helpful.

Comment

I think that EXIF info is only totally relevant if you know what the lighting conditions were when the pic was taken, because if the lighting was different, so would be the exposure/shutter speed/ISO settings. What to me is more useful is knowing which setting, either aperture or shutter speed or ISO, was what was set and why, as presumably the other variables would have been automatically set by the camera. That's assuming you weren't in full manual mode. FWIW.
                              Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Comment

Working...
                              X