Bronica S2A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bronica S2A

I just finished shooting my 1st role of 120 Film using the Bronica S2A. The S2A is a fully manual camera, no auto focus, no internal light meter, no IS, and no mirror lockup. So with this camera I needed to break out a light meter. For this 1st role I used the pocket light meter for the iPhone which logs the measurement w/picture into your camera role. Very nice program as it also records the GPS information as well.

As for the Camera, it is indeed a well built heavy camera. The camera preformed well, focusing is via a view finder that flips the image horizontally. so it you need to get use to framing and then shooting the image as the camera is held at waist level. Overall I really enjoyed using the camera as slowed the process down and you needed to pay attention to the details. The real enjoyment was after the 12 images were taken was using the dark bag and loading the film onto the reel and then placing it in the development tank. It's been over 30 years since I last did this, but it was like riding a bike. Then came the developing, then removing the film from the tank and seeing that you actually have images on the film strip, verifying the the old camera is still good working order.

So it's been a while shooting with film and in reading various information, some recommend shooting a 1 stop higher than the rated film speed, and others wear by shoot 1 stop lower than the film rated speed. So the plan was to develop the role at the rated film speed I took some images 1 stop below the rated ISO and some at 1 stop above the rated ISO.

Here are the results: Film was Kodak Tri-X 400

Lightmeter set to 800
    f/16 @ 1/500

Lightmeter set to 800
    f/22 @ 1/500

​​​​​​​Lightmeter @ 200 ISO
    f/11 @1/500

Comments welcomed
    Tom

Great set Tom, but one and two take pride of place. Glad you are enjoying using film again. Just thinking how good it would be if Canon brought out a fully manual film camera body that would except EF lens WOW.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Great results Tom, definition is excellent.

Bill.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Real gritty stuff Tom, interesting

Paul

Comment

Nic work Tom. What kind of scanner did you use? I would imagine not printing on paper would cut down the cost and complexity of using film. Interesting...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Love the pictures. Great to see that there are other people still using film.
            I still have my Bronica SQ-Ai. Have used it for some studio shots in black and white. Wouldn't part with it. I tend to use Ilford Delta 100 or 400.
            Still use my EOS 3 occasionally. Black and white film photography is still great fun.
            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
              Nic work Tom. What kind of scanner did you use? I would imagine not printing on paper would cut down the cost and complexity of using film. Interesting...
              I have an Epson 600 w/silverfast 8 scanning software

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                Love the pictures. Great to see that there are other people still using film.
                I still have my Bronica SQ-Ai. Have used it for some studio shots in black and white. Wouldn't part with it. I tend to use Ilford Delta 100 or 400.
                Still use my EOS 3 occasionally. Black and white film photography is still great fun.
                Just got my Bronica S2A. Got this one as it has no batteries to worry about. Love the feel of the camera and using it to frame shots. It also is forcing me to break out the light meter and relearn using it to understand the light. The Tri-X 400 has a dynamic range of 6 stops, so the setup forces me to be more aware the the light that is lighting the scene.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X