Light Meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Meters

I have recently watched a video on exposure which was fairly adamant that a separate hand held meter was essential with DSLR camera
    I use a 5D Mk1V and I would appreciate any comments regarding the necessity for a separate meter

I have one but hardly ever use it. The type of photography that I engage in wildlife, are not too tolerant to hanging around while you play around with a light meter However I do know people that would not be without their light meter. Will be interesting to see the replies to this.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by JayTee View Post
      I have recently watched a video on exposure which was fairly adamant that a separate hand held meter was essential with DSLR camera
      I use a 5D Mk1V and I would appreciate any comments regarding the necessity for a separate meter
      Was the person who made the video a light meter salesman perchance?
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hi John. No, not a salesperson. It was on a video by mc2photography who are based in Skye.I think their productions are excellent which is why I raised the query as, in general terms
        to a somewhat less than expert member of this Forum ,it seemed rather surprising

Comment

I had one but sold it....used if for calculating exposure when using studio lighting ....in all other situations the histogram provides all I need.
          is mc2 the same outfit who do photography on line videos each month...I remember their episode explaining incident and reflected light but didn’t explain the need for a light meter- perhaps they don’t use it in practice either ?
          My view is that you hardly need numerical data at all as the graphical histogram and exposure preview on the lcd provide all the info needed.
          I’m interested on others views on this
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thank you. mc2 September edition is the video I watched which referred to hand held meters. I thought the histogram was sufficient until they eroded my faith so I hoped I might get some expert views.
            Sadly it seems that it is a topic which raises little interest or perhaps everyone feels that the histogram is good enough

Comment

I used a Weston Euromaster for some years when my first cameras had no built in light meter. Then, when built in light meters became more reliable, I would only use it in tricky light with the invercone for incident light readings.

With digital cameras that have various light meter modes and options, histograms, rear view screens, RAW and post editing, I have never felt the need to use a hand held meter. They are a slow and deliberate device, which is fine for a landscape in constant unchanging light, but I can work much quicker and not lose the moment with the built in meter.

On the plus side for hand held meters, it is an easy way to learn the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ASA (now ISO).
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                I used a Weston Euromaster for some years when my first cameras had no built in light meter. Then, when built in light meters became more reliable, I would only use it in tricky light with the invercone for incident light readings.

With digital cameras that have various light meter modes and options, histograms, rear view screens, RAW and post editing, I have never felt the need to use a hand held meter. They are a slow and deliberate device, which is fine for a landscape in constant unchanging light, but I can work much quicker and not lose the moment with the built in meter.

On the plus side for hand held meters, it is an easy way to learn the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ASA (now ISO).
                Colin is spot on, no pun intended!
                http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

I often use a meter while shooting indoors and even occasionally shooting at night, but I can't remember the last time I used the meter in broad daylight! I wouldn't be without it though.
                  Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Working...
                  X