When things were simpler...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When things were simpler...

Having mentioned that I thought I ought to fire up the old D30 (see my swan post in the compact forum) I actually went and did so - there's a couple of the results posted in the May theme thread.

According to the pictures that were still on the card it hadn't been used in 2½ years! Still I recharged the batteries and took it out for a spin. I'd forgotten how uncomplicated it was compared to anything modern (eg my 80D) - no unnecessary video faff, no umpteen pages of menus and sub-menus, no complicated tracking options and adjustments and just 3 focus points which all work the same way with all lenses, just shove a battery in, turn it on and start shooting - ah, bliss...

Anyone else sometimes miss the simplicity of older cameras? Even my 20D and 40D are pretty straightforward to set up. and use...

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

I sometimes wonder why we got all these things on the modern SLR camera's, video for example. Why do you need video on a still camera, I've never used it although I do quite a bit of filming. Canon do not produce any decent soft wear for editing picture or sound. I could go on, but surely by doing away with some of the gimmicks a few hundred quid could be knocked of the price, if not more.
    The same can be said of mobile phones and cars. I've just bought a new car, it's going to take me for ever to try and understand the heating and air conditioning controls for a start - if I need air conditioning I just wind the window down.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I put a roll of film through my Bronica recently. It has no gimmicks at all and the viewfinder is back to front. Got some lovely black and white pictures and I even processed them myself in a friends dark room. Might dust off my 50 year old Pentax Spotmatic.
      Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I used to have a Mamiya RB64. Cracking bit of kit, no 101 buttons to fiddle with, just a shutter button and film winding knob - wish I still had it.
        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

With my new R6, I seem to spend more time switching options on and off than taking pictures. Eco or smooth, preview or none, aspect ratio changes, and loads of others. Do I take better pictures? No.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

My very first camera from 60 years ago - a gift from a friend of my parents.

You couldn't get much simpler!

My old press plate camera by John Liddle, on Flickr
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
              My very first camera from 60 years ago - a gift from a friend of my parents.

You couldn't get much simpler!

My old press plate camera by John Liddle, on Flickr
              Do you ever use John

What a great thing it would be if Canon brought out a 'Basic' Digital SLR, no video, no 101 other things on it, just a basic manual camera. - you dial in the aperture, you dial in the speed and focus manually.
              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

Do you ever use John
                I'm afraid not Trev - I'm not at all sure I could source the glass plates it was originally intended to be used with and the likely cost cost of developing and printing the 120 roll film rather puts me off.
                John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

What a great thing it would be if Canon brought out a 'Basic' Digital SLR, no video, no 101 other things on it, just a basic manual camera. - you dial in the aperture, you dial in the speed and focus manually.
                  The old D30 comes close when in manual mode except that it doesn't have the handy split prism for manual focusing.... If only it had a few more pixels...

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Perhaps this is what you're after Trev........

John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                      Yes, the only problem, Robert would most likely give me my marching orders off the Forum
                      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Working...
                      X