Yet another string to SWMBO's bow.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another string to SWMBO's bow.....

As some of you will be aware, SWMBO is of a somewhat artistic bent (despite also being a Chartered Physicist) and she recently decided that a weekend course in bronze casting would be a rather jolly thing to do.

We are fortunate that there is a foundry within a couple of miles of us and so off she went.

We had visited the Tamar Otter & Wildlife Centre some time ago (sadly now permanently closed due to the blasted Covid) and she used one of her photos from that visit as the basis for her sculpture - an otter cradling his favourite stone. The finished item is about 4.5" long head to tail.

I reckon it came out pretty well.

Otter (2) by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Excellent John and well done to your good lady. Rather interested in this, what was the original sculpture it was cast from and what process did she use - Lost Wax Casting.
    I had ambitions of getting my 'Avocet Family' wood carving cast, but the price was formidable, baring in mind they are life-size, plus they would have to be cast separately.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Trev - yes, lost wax casting. She made a wax version of the subject and then on the course coated it in the ceramic, melted out the wax, hard fired the ceramic and then poured in the bronze.

Your case would require someone to make a rubber mould of the original (no mean feat in itself), then coat that mould to support it, melt wax into the mould, extricate the wax version from the rubber, then proceed as above. I am not surprised you were quoted a significant price.

If you fancied a challenge, you could try making wax versions of your Avocets!
      John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
        Trev - yes, lost wax casting. She made a wax version of the subject and then on the course coated it in the ceramic, melted out the wax, hard fired the ceramic and then poured in the bronze.

Your case would require someone to make a rubber mould of the original (no mean feat in itself), then coat that mould to support it, melt wax into the mould, extricate the wax version from the rubber, then proceed as above. I am not surprised you were quoted a significant price.

If you fancied a challenge, you could try making wax versions of your Avocets!
        Thanks for that John, it was not so much the cost of the process, which I know how to do - rubber mould - wax version - mould - melt out etc. It was the cost of casting it in bronze. It would have to be done as five separate items - 2 x adult bodies, 2 x pairs of legs, 1 x juvenile.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

It would seem that 4% silicon bronze is about £13.50 plus VAT per kilo plus shipping. I think you have to buy it by the ingot, which is a bit variable in size, but around 7 kilos.
          John Liddle

Comment

That is brilliant John, some talent the lady has, if that was modelled on one of her photos, she must give you a good run for your money on the photographic front.

Comment

Excellent work John by both yourself and your good lady.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

That looks like the start of a new career, well done both of you. I was interested in the Chartered Physicist. A man I know makes similar bronzes (mostly deer or hares), He's an ex-dentist and uses his old dental tools to carve with.
                Russell
                Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

That is wonderful, John. An excellent bronze and the start of a new career for your wife. Great pic showing the detail.
                  Rose

Comment

Working...
                  X