Oct-Dec 14 - File Downloading - speeds using card reader vis camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oct-Dec 14 - File Downloading - speeds using card reader vis camera

In this article it shows comparisons between specific cameras and a USB card reader.

Now for a 5D 3 (bottom of page) it shows that the transfer speed 5D3 is :
    13-14 seconds (CF)
    12 secs. (SD)

with 16-17 secs CF & 13 secs SD using a Hama USB 2 card reader.

My times are a little different using 38Mb in 3 .jpg files: :

SD card - 0.108 secs.
    CF card - 0.046 secs

Another test with larger files using 319Mb in 3 .tif files:
    SD card - 0.380
    CF card - 0.373

Equipment details:
    CF - Transend UDMA7 400x 32Gb
    SDXC - SanDisk Extreme Pro 16Gb

USB 3 Trust card reader connected to a USB 3 port

Using Linux Mageia v4 x64 with a slow 5900 RPM hard drive.

So if you use a USB v3 card it will be seriously quicker than the figures given in the article Pages 46-49
    Always take their teckie details with a pinch of salt or in this case a large bag.

As I am running my desktop which is on 24/7 under Linux I could not connect to the camera so that test will have to wait until I need to reboot, may be, sometime next year.

Vince
    5D4, 24 - 105 f/4L, 16 - 35 f/2.8L, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, 580EX II.

Re: Oct-Dec 14 - File Downloading - speeds using card reader vis camera

Originally posted by vbcoen View Post
    Always take their teckie details with a pinch of salt or in this case a large bag. Vince
    I'm not sure I understand your argument. You say that the EOS magazine technical details are wrong, but acknowledge that we used a USB 2 card reader, while you used a USB 3 reader. Surely you would need to use a USB 2 reader if you want to challenge our results.

I'm also interested to know how you are able to provide download times accurate to three decimal points. On PCs and Macs, file transfer is started by dragging the files or folders from the CF or SD card onto the computer hard drive. Is this the same with a Linux OS? Your figures suggest that the transfer from card to drive is virtually instantaneous, even with large files.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
    X