Nina ....... Ranting and Raving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nina ....... Ranting and Raving!

Thoroughly enjoyed the Jan-March edition of EOS Magazine, lots of new articles to read and enjoy. However, Nina outspoken is a fantastic read and on a subject very close to my heart.

I have come across many newcomers to photography that were told "Real Photographers use Manual Exposure" etc, etc, by some self imposed expert. I try to destroy that notion and reinforce what works for you and let the camera do all the standard stuff. I won't go any further because Nina says it all and I don't want to spoil a very enjoyable read.

Well done Nina. I look forward to more Ranting and Raving.
    Colin

Yes an excellent article, I echo Colin's comment. I remember many many years ago when I bought a AE1 which at the time was the camera to be seen with. Being told by a so called expert in the field that I needed to get the F1 which was manual camera, if I wanted to be excepted into the world of photography.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I use manual but with auto Iso, so really it's iso mode, have had people ask what setting I am using and I tell them but add it's a matter of taste, and that one needs to find a mode that they enjoy and are comfortable with. I was using programmed the other week too.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I too use mainly manual mode, but almost always with auto ISO, as I know the 5d4 has a good SNR up to, and including ISO 10000. I will on occasions use AV mode, but never use Full Auto. There are no hard and fast rules, so use what you feel comfortable with.
        Dave

Comment

Like others here my prefered method is manual with auto ISO. But know others who prefer full manual or AV. If it works for you then that's fine. No absolutes.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I am comfortable to let the camera do its thing in conditions where it will work well and that is Tv, or Av where appropriate. However, there are times that won't work as well as taking full control and using manual, such as a bird in flight that is likely to be flying against trees and the next moment against the sky. Depending on the circumstances, that could be around 10 - 20% of my images.

Depending on the light, my starting point is likely to be around 1/2000 sec & F8 and with an ISO to suit: probably ISO 400 to ISO 800. The problem with fully manual is when the light changes and I have to recognise this by altering my settings to suit. With practice, this becomes second nature and I can flick a switch without taking my eye from the viewfinder. If I am at ISO 400 it's a no brainer to up it to ISO 800. I start getting a little cautious at ISO 1600 and a bit more so at ISO 3200. Probably at ISO 1600 I have the choice of opening up the aperture instead of increasing the ISO and that can give me up to two stops to play with and if the light deteriorates even further I can drop the shutter speed. If the light deteriorates even further, it is so dire that I am not going to get any images worth keeping, so it is time to wait for an improvement, or pack up and go home. With fully manual, I have choices over all three variables and can make my compromises accordingly.

I know many advanced users and Pro's that use manual with auto ISO and I have tried this, but it didn't work for me. In for conditions, the camera just kept cranking up the ISO, often to unacceptable levels. Also, you are effectively in a semi Auto mode, so although I had settings to accurately expose for the bird regardless of the sky, with Auto ISO the sky has an influence and the bird in flight will be underexposed. Granted, flying against hedges or trees, Auto ISO will generally still provide good exposure. There is an argument that shooting in RAW provides the opportunity to correct the exposure post capture, but pushing the sliders too far increases noise and if you add that to the increased noise from the camera choosing a higher than desirable ISO setting, total noice can often be quite unacceptable.

If it works for you, then great. For me it's semi auto where I can and fully manual where I need to.
            Colin

Comment

On Saturday 21st July 2012 I met up with two gentleman members of this forum at Slimbridge WWT in Gloucestershire.
              I was using a Canon 7D camera with a fairly new Canon EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS lens.
              The three of us, having never met before except on this excellent forum, all got on extremely well. Two of us were enthusiastic amateurs and the third one was far more experienced.
              During a moment in one of the hides I was given a short lesson on using manual, as an enthusiastic amateur I was all ears.
              When I arrived home later that day I practiced using manual using something neutral (my own grass) to set the camera up.
              Since that day in July 2012 (over 7 years ago) my first thought when using a camera is always "manual", sometimes shutter or aperture priority are used but usually manual.
              When I use auto-ISO then I set a maximum ISO (800 or 1600) but fully manual is my first choice.

The three members who met up at Slimbridge on that day were myself, Colin C and Nathaniel.
              Nathaniel took his infamous "kingfisher" image on that day (bless him). He will be missed by all those who knew him and fondly remembered, a lovely man.
              I will always remember that lesson and the conversations I had with Colin C on that day.

Using manual was further endorsed when I met Stan and Dee at Elan valley and Gigrin farm (red kites) later that month when I compared my manual setting to that of Stan and Dee, they were identical.
              The following month (August 2012) I met up again with Nathaniel (by request) and gave him a guided tour of Elan valley and accompanied him on his first ever visit to Gigrin farm and the red kites.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Great article. I am training officer for my Club and I often have to help new members who have been 'informed' that they are doing it all wrong. Often the advice has come from self styled 'experts'.
                Modern cameras amaze me. Their ability to do a great deal of the 'heavy lifting' for you is their real strength. What's that old adage, 'Don't buy a dog and then do your own barking'. The way you use a camera should be a matter of personal preference. Fortunately, modern cameras allow you to choose from a range of options. The most important thing is to help the less experienced to understand the possibilities that are available to them and not dictate a method of working. My way of working would probably confuse some people and others would say it was just plain wrong, well I don't care it suits me. So don't dictate, help people to understand the possibilities, enable them to make the choices that suit them.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                  So don't dictate, help people to understand the possibilities, enable them to make the choices that suit them.
                  Here here Alan.

Colin

Comment

I figure the camera is just another tool I use to accomplish a task - sometimes it's smarter than I - other times it's not! My "go-to" setting is Av, but sometimes I'll use Tv or M - it just depends on the situation. Humm, never thought to use Auto ISO when in M mode - I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for that hint.
                    Chip B

Canon 80D, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-300 IS Nano, 18-135 IS, 100 Macro, Tamron 150-600 G2

Comment

Working...
                    X