Get a grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a grip

I have used battery grips for years on my cameras. They are great for improving the handling of the camera in portrait mode. It allows you to brace much better. The article was very well written but did raise one question in my mind, the substantial difference in the price of grips. Clearly some have more functionality but an example that I know about is the BG-E20 for the 5d Mk IV (£279.99) and the BG-R10 (£429.99). Both offer similar functionality so why the big price difference.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

A question I asked myself, why a 150 quid difference, when they both preform almost the same function. Also I would like to see provision for inserting AA type batteries, either in a separate holder or a rear door as on some of the grips. Especially on the BG-R10 where there is more drain on battery use in the mirrorless camera - or so I find! This may be not so important in a studio environment, but if you are out in the sticks all day it would be more than handy.
    Perhaps one should have adequate batteries when going on a shoot, but the current price of LP-E6N type batteries my deter some, although there are cheaper alternatives - Duracell, which I use, but are still quite expensive. A pack of AA's in the back pocket or camera bag could just be enough to get those last crucial shots, should you find the LP's are flat.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

It's all down to the 'R' factor - design a new system with new accessories, and hike the price. Think I'll wait for aftermarket grips to become available for my R5
      Regards
      Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
      7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
      24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

I have a battery grip on my 40D but only because it was dirt cheap in CEX's window. It even came with two batteries which effectively made it pretty near free. I had no real interest in buying a new version which seemed a bit expensive for what it was.

TBH other than the extended operating time afforded by the extra battery I don't find it that useful. Try as I might I can't get comfortable using the vertical controls with the camera in portrait format so I just use the hold the camera as I would without the grip and use the normal body controls. That said the grip does seem to add a degree of extra stability in portrait mode...

Not been tempted to buy another for my 80D though. Of course if the used price is right...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Man View Post
          It's all down to the 'R' factor - design a new system with new accessories, and hike the price. Think I'll wait for aftermarket grips to become available for my R5
          The 'R' factor does appear to apply to everything in the range. Some price differentials are totally out of order. Clearly Canon are seeking to recoup their development costs as fast as possible while the hype is driving sales. It's convinced me that while I like the R6. I shall not be buying any more 'R' kit for the foreseeable future. I have a considerable investment in Sigma high-end lenses which produce excellent results and I cannot see a reason to spend out for overpriced R lenses that offer no significant benefit. Mirrorless cameras can do lots of tricks that a DSLR cannot, the same was true when digital first arrived. I still use very few of the tricks that my 5D Mk4s can do and don't see the need for many of the mirrorless tricks. 8 stops IS, I have shots taken with a 200mm un-stabilised lens that were shot from a moving boat and they are sharp. I managed to get many sharp pictures using long lenses in my film days on rainy days at various motor race venues at a time when IS didn't exist and ISO was down to the film used (In my case either 100 or 400 and most often the former). The technology is amazing but it tends to remove one of my favourite parts of the hobby, the challenge.

The attached pictures were taken with an original 5D using an un-stabilised Sigma 70 - 200 f2.8 lens. I was in a small powerboat traveling at about 12 knots. The first and third shots are at 200mm (not the lens's best focal length) and the the second at 176mm. All were shot at ISO 200, f8 and 1/350 shutter speed.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 04-10-2021, 14:07.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
          X