Straight out of the camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straight out of the camera

I think that a lot of people who are now in the digital format have grown up with the film format where taking a good picture first time was paramount,and altering the picture (for the most part) was not a option.
    I must agree with carregwen and his two pictures the prossesed one is better but you must bear in mind you dont mostly see a before and after shot.I would love to set up a picture and my camera to take the perfect shot without any playing with but in the real world this is not ofton the case
    My friends call me Woody

Comment

I think some of the abhorence of digital manipulation of images stems from it having become another source of general distrust of photographers and photography. There are now many tales about manipulation being used by the media to sensationalise a story. The notion that the camera never lies is certainly dead. Thus when the camera + manipulation is used to create an artistic image it is difficult to view it as just an art form because of our natural reluctance to leave ourselves open to being tricked. Really just another example in the modern world of the bad crowding out the good. Oh dear...I need a drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Manipulator View Post
        I think some of the abhorence of digital manipulation of images stems from it having become another source of general distrust of photographers and photography. There are now many tales about manipulation being used by the media to sensationalise a story. The notion that the camera never lies is certainly dead. Thus when the camera + manipulation is used to create an artistic image it is difficult to view it as just an art form because of our natural reluctance to leave ourselves open to being tricked. Really just another example in the modern world of the bad crowding out the good. Oh dear...I need a drink!
        Interesting how we each look on it differently – I see photography and manipulation as going hand in hand. A well observed, competently captured and masterfully processed image can be of great wonder and captivation to me.

It is true that we don't like to think of the journalistic content of news images being altered, but this has been happening long before the advent of digital. The way an image is cropped by the editor for example, means that the same image could be used to tell two sides of the same story in two different newspapers.

We have to decide for ourselves the level of trust we can place in photography, photographers and editors, but I don't think we have reached a stage yet where we need to distrust everyone or every image we cast an eye over.
        Dave

Comment

B&W photos in the past have been used to prove the existence of fairies...
          Manipulation or true????
          Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

I suspect that many of us who don't like heavily post processed images come from a film transparency background where you had to get it right in camera or live with the consequences. It would be great to be able obtain a similar result straight from the camera with digital.
            Don't forget that even in "The Good Old Days" of transparencies no 2 types of film produced the same result so it could be argued that the image was manipulated by means of the film used. If there was some way to dial in 'Velvia 50' I would be a happy man.

Comment

most stock libraries don't wont photo shopped images.i even turn of the in camera sharping and send them as is but that is for photos.if i wont to get arty than ps is great

Comment

Surely it makes sense to get everything right in camera using its own firmware/software...for time saving if nothing else.
                Perhaps the cameras software is not up to the job and thats why there is so much post processing....on the other hand if you have the time then post processing provides an opportunity to change the image and make corrections - that opportunity otherwise is lost the moment you leave the scene.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                X