Small sensor macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small sensor macro

I was very impressed with the recent articles on the use of supplementary close up lenses when used on DSLRs, however the article totally failed to cover one of the most interesting uses of this kit, which is when they are fitted on small sensor cameras. The problem is that on DSLRs when doing close up the DoF is very small and at times almost non existent. While small sensor cameras benefit from being able to work at very close range, 1 cm on the G11 at it widest zoom setting of 28mm (actual length 6.1mm). By fitting a simple adaptor tube to your point and shoot camera allows the same close up lenses to be fitted, giving a far more useful working distance than the basic camera and opening up very interesting opportunities not available to DSLR users. I have posted a couple of shots using this technique on the macro thread, I think the technique is a bit different to the normal macro shot and possibly worth sharing with a wider audience? A couple more examples…

Re: Small sensor macro

Is you conclusion therefore that for macro work we get a small sensor comact that can be fitted with a tubes or supplementary lens?

Perhaps a small sensor 4/3 might be good? (not one of the new APS-C sensors like Samsung etc) or maybe a G series Canon?

I guess that the complromise might be the IQ.

I can certainly see the benefit of your approach for more candid macros.

Brian
    ef-r

Comment

Hi Brian, I am an avid 1 Series user and have been for too many years. However, I was feeling frustrated and thwarted by lack of DoF in my pictures of the larger Dragonflies I was trying to get. I tried all the normal tricks of longer lenses with converters, tubes and even stacking images. However, I recently started to explore the characteristics of small sensor cameras and I ended up buying a G11 which I used for all the above shots.

The big issue is the sensor size, the G is fitted with a 7.6mm x 5.7mm sensor and comes with a 28 – 140mm equivalent lens, but the actual lens is 6.1mm – 30.4mm and has the optical characteristics and depth of field of those very wide focal lengths, it is in fact a sensor factor of 4.6x. While I have tried 4/3 and agree you do get a small gain from the x2 sensor factor, it is nothing quite like that you get from the 4.6x from the G.

While the IQ is totally different, I tend to use a 2 system approach for my macro work. I use my 1D and 180 macro lens fitted with either a 1.4x or 2x converter for the long macro/close up work. But when I can get in close and need every bit of DoF, I then normally reach for the G. OK the IQ is not so great, but I never use AF for my macro work anyway, so it is far less of an issue.

I have equipped my G with a simple adaptor tube, I then fit decent, double element achromatic filters in different strengths ranging from + 1.6 through to + 8 dioptre, I have used a reversed 50mm on the G which is the equivalent of a +20, but that is another story.

EOS Magazine had a great article on the use of these filters on DSLRs, with the Canon 250D and 500D, but they failed to mention how these simple filters can be used on the rest of the Canon compact range with great effect, hence my suggestion of an article. The item could be extended to included how you can integrate these cameras into your existing flash set up, I have used my G with my ST-E2 and groups of flashes/brollies without problem and have the benefit of being able to control the ratios between the guns.

A couple more pics to show some more examples...

This may help, those who are not so familiar with Close Up lenses, I prepared this for a series of lectures I am giving on the subject

Comment

Originally posted by John Baker View Post
        I was very impressed with the recent articles on the use of supplementary close up lenses when used on DSLRs, however the article totally failed to cover one of the most interesting uses of this kit, which is when they are fitted on small sensor cameras.
        Should EOS magazine be covering the use of accessories on non-EOS cameras? Feedback, please.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
          Should EOS magazine be covering the use of accessories on non-EOS cameras? Feedback, please.
          An article on focus stacking would be good
          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
            An article on focus stacking would be good
            Focus stacking is covered in the current issue of EOS magazine (October-December 2010), pages 50/51.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Oops - missed that :)
              ef-r

Comment

What a terrific set of photos. And I'm glad you are calling these close-up accessories by their proper name and not referring to them as filters, which they are not.

Comment

What a terrific set of photos
                  +1

I suppose better quality lenses are available for DSLRs, but for increased DOF alone, smaller sensor P+S cameras can't be beaten, even without a close up thingamy.
                  Well done for utlising this characteristic of smaller sensor cameras to get great results.

Trev

Comment

I really do not mind if you don’t use the suggestion, I thought it would make an interesting addendum to the July/Sept issue, where you gave an excellent overview of Close Up and the use of supplementary Lenses. While I totally agree that the magazine is titled EOS, my understanding had been that it did include the wider collection of Canon products, however, many accessories will also work on many non EOS Canon cameras without any problem. These close up techniques and Canon achromatic close up lenses (250D/500D) will work just as well on many of the Powershot models from S90/S95, SX30, SX20, SX10 or SX1 IS and the G7/9/10/12 to name but a few, basically any camera that can be fitted with a thread adaptor such as the Canon LA-DC58K and the interesting new zoom version, the FA-DC58B can be used.

I see Canon as a total system, I regularly fit multiple large EX flashes (550/580/430), brollies, diffusers and either an off camera flash cord or ST-E2 IR controller on my G without problem or issue. It would be interesting to hear how many EOS users also carry a small P/S as an everyday, walk around camera. I recently managed close to 5,000 shots on my G during a 2 weeks holiday to Egypt, where I neither wanted the weight, bulk, value and complexity of my DSLR, the camera faultlessly went from hot air ballooning at sunrise over the Valley of the Kings and the Nile, camel trekking across the desert, to finding Nemo at the bottom of the Red Sea in a dedicated underwater housing. I see both my 1 Series cameras and my G as serious photographic tools and I use the model which has the best characteristics for the job I am doing and there are quite a few times when I don’t always reach for the DSLR.

One final example taken with a G11 and a +4 Close Up lens, lighting controlled by an ST-E2 controlling 2 x flashes firing into brollies, ratio control between the two guns. It was so nice to work at an oblique angle across quite deep object and still get edge to edge focus. Well I thought it was kind of neat, I supposed I could have used a tilt and shift lens...

Last edited by John Baker; 22-11-2010, 23:37. Reason: Update and correction

Comment

nice pics

Comment

Excellent thread made me look at my G9 in a different light,

Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray, the G’s are great little cameras. While I look out at the rain and clouds here is something bright which is sharing my study with me. Basically the same set up, +1.6 Sigma Close Up Lens, G12 but with 580EX as master firing through a large flash diffuser (Gary Fong Whale Tail) and a pair of external flashes on stands as slaves (430EX and 550EX) – I think I was experimenting with ratios, seemed to work very well.

Comment

Working...
                          X