Apple's Aperture- An alternative needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple's Aperture- An alternative needed

As anyone who uses Apple's Aperture will know it is incompatible with Apple's latest operating system, Catalina, which uses 64 bit technology as opposed to the 32 bit of previous systems. Having used Aperture extensively for a number of years I've built up a considerable library of photos but it means that if I want to upgrade to Catalina then I can't use it anymore. Yes I can migrate to Apple Photo but it's not the same and it means having to start again. I know that EOS magazine likes to use Canon DPP but if I chose to use it instead of Aperture how exactly would I go about it and how would I migrate all my photos onto it. The subject of alternative photo software hasn't been discussed in the magazine so far so perhaps this could be explored in a comprehensive article in the near future.

Not a Mac user but seem to recall reading something about an application called retroactive that gets Aperture running on Catalina
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

This may also be of interest if you want to use LR or Photos

Aperture won't run in versions of macOS after macOS Mojave. Here's how to move your Aperture libraries to Photos or Adobe Lightroom Classic.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks for that. I had looked at the retroactive app and downloaded it but although it identifies certain Apple apps on my machine it doesn't identify Aperture for some reason. I've given up on it for now. At the moment I don't want to get involved with LR.

Comment

If lack of actual editing tools is the problem with Photos, Raw Power may be of interest. It integrates with Photos and provides a much more capable set roof tools. It’s available for Catalina and iPads too so could be a nice free option. If I weren’t invested in Lightroom I think this would be my choice along with Affinity Photo for the trickier bits,

You can find it here https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/raw-po...57116444?mt=12
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

That's very interesting, thanks.

Comment

I was in the same situation ,I ended using Mac photo to convert and then bought affinity photo as my new photo editing package ,only a one off cost no monthly charges like Photoshop and lightroom
              hope this helps

Comment

Working...
              X