90D focusing problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90D focusing problems.

There seems to be so much negative information on the internet about poor focusing with the 90D and older lenses. I understand that the bigger the resolution, the more obvious any slightly out of focus will show up. It has been advised to double the shutter speed, but how does that affect aperture and ISO especially in the Creative Modes?
    Perhaps advice on which lenses work best and which settings for specific shots.
    Do you have to micro focus every lens? If so, how?
    Thanks.
    Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
    http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Can't help you on this one Jan but no doubt someone will come up with the goods.
    The one thing I would say is do not attempt to do any micro focus adjustments unless you know what you are doing.
    I know someone that did, and ended up having to send the lens to a service centre to get put right - they charged him £150 + P&P
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

With regards to settings in creative mode....if you double the shutter speed then you lose one stop of exposure so you'll need to increase the ISO by one stop (i.e. if at ISO 200 increase to ISO400) or open up the aperture by one stop (i.e. if at f8 then open up to f5.6).

If using shutter priority then the aperture will adjust automatically. There are settings whereby the ISO will adjust automatically as well.....but as I've only every used aperture priority or manual I don't have experience of that myself.

I find its relatively simple to pre-set the ISO/Av/Tv in manual for the exposure needed......this only lets you down if the lighting is constantly changing.

As for micro-adjustment there is a full instructional article in EOS magazine archive if you have access via your subscription to the magazine.....EOS magazine will advise as they offer such advice to subscribers.

If you do set micro-adjustment then tread carefully step by step and repeat several times to be sure your lens is optimised. I did this on the 50mm f1.2 which needed really critical focussing when wide open.

Hope that helps.......

Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thank you both for your replies.
        I haven’t studied my shots close enough yet to notice if they are slightly out of focus, but am getting fed up of seeing negative comments about it on Facebook. Over the years I have built up my arsenal of L lenses, and according to some, a few of them are way off with sharpness.
        I trust the advice from people here far more than I would off Facebook.
        We are still being very careful about going out, so I’m only using the macro lens in the garden.
        I tend to use Aperture mode with Auto ISO the most, but will have to keep one eye on what the shutter speed is doing every time. Don’t really want to go back to Manual mode.
        Janet

Comment

I think you can set the minimum shutter speed.....I can on my R so suspect there will be a setting in the menu. I'd go for 1/200th sec as minimum and see if that sorts the problem out.

One of the great things about going mirrorless is you can enlarge the view in the viewfinder or screen and focus adjust very accurately....The RP has a focus stacking feature built in too I believe.

I'd be interested to see if the above helps...maybe post some samples on here to get useful comments back.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I just took a quick look through the Menu to see if I can set the minimum shutter value, but I think this afternoon I need to sit down with the Manual and Nina's pdf book to try and find it.
            Last week was the first time I tried the in camera Focus Bracketing in JPEG, then merging with DPP. It took me several hours trying to find it in the Menu and reading up on it only to realise it only does it in Live View!
            I'm going to try another Focus Bracketing today. Will try and get my head around how to upload later.
            Thanks for your help. Jan.
            Janet

Comment

Working...
            X