Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Friars Mill,River Soar,Leicester - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friars Mill,River Soar,Leicester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
    Thanks everyone

Barbara;If I took even one step to the right,the"something ugly" would be me going for an un-planned swim! So John,you were right about the waterproof housing being needed.

Burnie;If you can visualise starting at West Bridge and heading along the tow path in the general direction of Abbey Park,but not as far as that,that's where I was for the shot.On Sunday I went in the opposite direction,to St.Mary's Mills locks,passing by the King Power footy stadium on the left and with the area where Gimson's wood yard used to be,on my right.It's all housing now. Then returning to my start point of West Bridge again.
    I used to fish on the "Straits " as a kid in the 1960's and we used to go up to the weir and into the old Great Central engine shed, I used to fish in Abbey Park when I was an apprentice on Blackbird Road at the AEI too. Leicester is an interesting city, my brother still lives in Oadby, the "Tiger" part of my nickname comes from the towns rugby club.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

If you fished on the"straight" at that time,you'll remember the"hot waters"close to Upperton Road canal bridge?The waters came from the old power station and apparently were the favoured spot for ledgering.I noticed that the outlet is still there,but very overgrown now.The power station is long gone.

I lived on Western Road in the 1960's and our house was at the top end and backed onto the Great Central line,so I well remember that shed and getting chased out of it!When I think of how many locos were stored near to the Burton line that ran across the main one,and never took even one photo of them before they went off for scrapping!

I wouldn't go anywhere near Western Road now with my camera kit,unless I was in an armoured car!
      Last edited by Guest; 14-04-2020, 21:13.

Comment

Chaps I'm getting slated here but I think you know what I mean !
        Walk along the path a bit more, or if you can't then rotate your camera a bit to the left. Do you get to enhance that nice curve of the canal then?
        You'd also lose a bit of the ugly red stuff on the far right, which was Swanny's first suggestion before he put you and your camera in the water.........................
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

If I get the chance to return there I'll do what I can.

Comment

I'd personally lose the vapour trail off that too Roy.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

The weather looks good for tomorrow so I might just talk a walk in that general direction..

Comment

Lovely tranquil scene. Much better without the scaffolding, and I agree with those that would also crop the red box. And I'm with Bo on showing the whole curve on the left hand side, unless that is some kind of junction or inlet, but even so let's see it as it feels cramped. My four'pennorth is that I would also shave a little off the top to match the space between the chimney top and frame in the reflection. Sorry if this is sounding critical, not meant to.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I'll see what can be done tomorrow.I'll also be taking my 70-300 this time to get some different shots along the way.
                  Last edited by Guest; 15-04-2020, 14:21.

Comment

Lovely reflection. Well taken.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom.

Comment

Working...
                      X