New Starlink satellites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Starlink satellites

A new bunch have just gone up, so should be closer together at present (most of the existing ones are quite spread out).

For London, U.K.:

8:54 pm, 23 Apr 2020
    Starlink-6,7 NEW, BRIGHT (2.8) for 4 mins
    Look from WEST (282°) to SOUTHEAST (120°)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 11°, max: 61°, end: 12°
    5:14 am, 24 Apr 2020

8:56 pm, 24 Apr 2020
    Starlink-6,7 NEW, BRIGHT (3.6) for 3 mins
    Look from WEST (275°) to SOUTHEAST (137°)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 11°, max: 36°, end: 11°

9:10 pm, 24 Apr 2020
    Starlink-5,6 OLD, BRIGHT (3.0) for 6 mins
    Look from WEST (273°) to EAST (79°)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 64°, end: 10°

For elsewhere:
    Calculate when you can see the SpaceX Starlink satellites above your location

What it means:
    "Starlink-6,7 NEW, BRIGHT (3.6) for 3 mins"

* 6,7 are the satellite series (there are a few)
    * NEW means they are shiny fresh into Orbit
    * BRIGHT means should be easy to see with your eyes
    * (3.6) is the magnitude, the lower the brighter, negative numbers means very bright (none here). It's a Log scale so the 2.8 will be quite a bit brighter than the 3.6.
    * "x mins" is how long they will be visible for.

I think the other lines make sense.

This may not have worked for this evening as they might have changed the orbit...
    Anyone see anything? (I had something come up and didn't make it out in time...)
    Tomorrow now seems to be 8:55-9:00 and still close together...

Comment

Okay, so I saw the new bunch last night, but only through an EVF as they came over when it was still twilight and were too dull to see with my eyes (I exposed for Ev2, so ISO 1600, 1/50th and f/1.2, manual focus on a star beforehand). I think it would have been okay visually if it was fully dark.
      The big plus from a new launch is they are close together, rather than the maybe 20 degrees apart the older ones are now (but come through in a group still). Here's an idea of what it looked like...

Thumb.jpg
      You may need to look at this larger to see clearly. Dots not in-line are stars.
      Last edited by DrJon; 25-04-2020, 10:07.

Comment

Miserable failure last night just too bright, 9:45 tonight so will try again now I know what I am looking for hope for clear skies

Alan

Comment

The 9:45 ones tonight are an old batch, so will be quite well separated in the sky.

The new ones seem to be coming over me (in London) just after 9, but quite dim for twilight viewing per Heavens Above, or very dim indeed (per Find Starlink). Also only get to 21 degrees high, in a direction I don't think I can see that so well.

Still, does look like a launch a month...

Comment

Working...
          X