Orion Nebula - Untracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orion Nebula - Untracked

Friday night I tried a little camera experiment that really shouldn't work. The idea being that I'd try the little trick of capturing hundreds of untracked 1-sec exposures - if you grab enough, there's a chance of getting some detail.

I've managed to stack the 600 images into one single image and processed some levels/curves to bring out the detail.

Canon 200d, Samyang 135mm lens
    F/2.0. 1600iso, 600x (raw) 1sec exposures (+ 10x dark frames). - images were taken on a standard (untracked) tripod.

Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, 32-bit Tif Levels & Curves processed In Photoshop CS3

Orion Nebula [600x 1sec images]
    The Running Man Nebular is just starting to appear above Orion. It's only faint - but the purple nebulosity is definitely there

lzkaPIW.jpg

WORKFLOW:

CAPTURE:
    ♦ Equipment: Canon 200d, Samyang 135mm lens, Tripod (untracked mount), Hahnel Captur intervalometer (any remote shutter release will do)
    ♦ Camera settings: F/2.0 (aperture), 1600 (iso), 1sec (exp) - if your lens doesn't have an F/2.0 aperture, don't worry - set it to the lowest value you have. Additionally, the iso value may need to increase beyong 1600 (32000 or 6400) to compensate a little.
    Camera and Lens set to Manual.
    ♦ Manually focus the camera on the brightest star closest to your target. Star focussing is tricky - if you camera has an LCD - you're aiming to make the star look as small as possible (use LCD zoom if you have one).
    ♦ Images Required: 200-600x images, 10x dark frames, 10x flats
    ♦ make sure your camera is set to capture Raw images - Jpegs are redundant for this exercise.
    (In the bitter cold I completely forgot to take "flats")
    Although I captured 600 image files, 200-300 should be plenty.
    ♦ Position Orion slightly left of centre - this will save you having to adjust the camera position as the target slides off the right of frame.
    ♦ set intervalometer @ delay = 00:00'00", long = 00:00'01", interval = 00:00'02", shots = 300 (or desired value)
    ♦ press Start button
    ♦ if you've opted to capture 600 or so, remember to STOP intervalometer at 300 and reposition camera/tripod
    ♦ press START again.
    when done press STOP and prceed to Stacking.

STACKING:
    I use Deep Sky Stacker [DSS] - it's a freeware app and it removes all of the hassle from the process - when compared to trying to stack from within your imaging application.
    DSS takes your images files and subtracts your darks and flats to "average out" noise while "averaging in" signal, thereby increasing the signal to noise ratio.

Load up DSS and follow these steps:
    ♦ click Open picture files - select all Raw images from your folder
    ♦ in the lower window > highlight top image > scroll to bottom > using left-shift click bottom image and click Open.
    ♦ Right-click and select Check
    ♦ You also need to load in your calibration frames, repeat the above selecting Darks and Flats separately (no need to select Check this time)
    ♦ From menu, select Register Check Pictures
    ♦ In popup box ensure all three tickboxes are checked and set Select the best to 95%
    ♦ Click Advanced > Click the number of detected stars button > ideally you'll need around 100. If more or less are found, move the slider and try again (80-120 is good).
    ♦ Click Recommended Settings > Where any item is shown in Red Click the blue link immediately below it to automatically/instantly fix these. Once done, click OK - this returns you to previous menu, click OK again
    ♦ This returns you to the Stacking Steps screen, click OK and away we go!
    This could take a couple of hours or more. If there's loads to stack and your pc is a little older - you can leave it overnight, or alternatively go and have several cups of tea while you wait. When done DSS will have created an autosave.tif image (usually around 100-250mb). Make a note of the file location (top status bar).
    ♦ We're now done with DSS - close the app.

PROCESSING:
    I have two old versions of PS - CS2 & CS3 - both work fine for this. I've also got Affinity and although I've not used it for this, the process is very similar - using the same functionality.
    Open your autosave.tif file in PS
    ♦ Goto Image > Mode > and change image mode from 32bit to 16bit > change Method to Exposure & Gamma > click OK
    ♦ Crop the image so that your 3x3 grid occupies only the point of interest and 8 identically-sized spaces around it. Ideally, you're looking at a width reduction of around 2/3 and height reduction of around 1/3.
    ♦ Once you have your cropped image create a duplicate layer > Always apply edits to your Working Layer - this makes it easier to back out any changes you're not happy with.
    Now - the fun part: bringing out the Nebulosity
    Image > Adjustments > Levels
    > move the right-hand slider to the far right point of the histogram data display > click Ok
    ♦ again...Image > Adjustments > Levels
    > now move the left-hand and centre sliders closer to the main histogram display - do this a little at a time. click OK
    ♦ Repeat the above two Levels adjustments as often as you like until you're happy with the result - but only a little adjustment each time.
    ♦ if the sky colour looks wrong you can adjust this by; Image > Adjustments > Levels > select middle eyedropper > find and click a part of the sky where it should be completely black > click OK
    Create a new layer
    ♦ at this stage you can adjust the hue/saturation/vibrance to suit selecting
    Image Adjustments > Brightness & Contrast or Image Adjustments > Hue/Saturation - do not over-egg this
    Some final adjustments...
    ♦ next to bring out more detail click...Image Adjustments > Curves
    ♦ click (newer versions with Ctrl) eyedropper somewhere that the nebula appears more faint.
    ♦ click the histogram and pull the band up slightly (from middle-ish) to adjust the nebulosity.
    ♦ in the same histogram click slightly further down the band and drag it below the line > this will help to rectify the sky tone altered by previous step. when happy click OK
    ♦ some final fixes: create a duplicate layer and again...Image > Adjustments > Levels
    ♦ move the centre slider to the right to darken the sky
    ♦ make any final desired adjustments to hue/saturation and vibrance.
    All done! - don't forget to save.
    Last edited by brenski; 17-01-2022, 10:44.

That looks excellent to me Martin, 600 shots is huge number to stack it must take an impressive amount of processing power to do it. A lot of work.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

That's a stunning image Martin, well done. Thanks for the inspiration I may have try this out
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Farider wasn't too bad really. Deep Sky Stacker registered and stacked 600 files in around 1½-2hrs.
        ST-EOS thanks.

If anyone wants a walkthru' for my workflow, please shout - happy to oblige.
        It was a bit of a experiement, but I made notes for what worked and what didn't.

Next clear night, I may try again with my Canon 70-300 on full zoom. Will have to set the ISO to 3200 to compensate for the not so great aperture on the zoom.

Comment

Very well done. I've love to see details of your workflow. Russell
          Russell
          Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Impressive work and a great image.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Fantastic.
              Rose

Comment

Gives me something to try, thanks

Chris

Comment

That is quite inspiring - I shall be having a go!

Well done!
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Columbarius Stackman John Liddle Lavenderhill antoeknee ST-EOS Farider I've added my workflow to the top post. hope it's of use to someone.

I've also decided to have "one more go" at the tif file.
                    knowing that the faint image of Running Man Nebula was there (just above Orion), I wanted to see if I could bring more of him out.
                    If you look know you can clearly see his silhouette. This is about as far as I can process the image to bring out Running Man - without destroying all of the other signal data.

orion and running man.jpg
                    Last edited by brenski; 16-01-2022, 17:41.

Comment

That's very helpful Brenski, thank you.
                      Russell
                      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Thanks for including your workflow Martin
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

That's what I call dedication to getting the shot - and well worth it too.
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

my Move Shoot Move tracker arrived today - so this will provide for some travel/holiday portability that my Star Adventurer Pro is too heavy for.

Comment

You done really well!
                              Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X