Northern Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Lights

I missed the Northern Lights last night which by all accounts were something special. However tonight had some more though not so intense.

I could see the brighter parts of the sky by eye but no colour and I'm always concerned about overdoing the processing so here's my take on tonights activity from the garden.

Northern lights 27 2 23-4978 by M Plowman, on Flickr

We missed it last night too and tonight it's overcast
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Good to see your pic. I Missed it last night as well, didn’t know about it until this morning. I did go out for a drive tonight to get a dark sky but it was wall to wall cloud, from your experience it looks unlikely I’d have seen anything if it was a lot less where you are there was no chance on the south coast!

Ian
      Last edited by Farider; 28-02-2023, 00:02.
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done. It was reported that people saw it down in Cornwall, however there was nothing visible from my place (East Devon) either night.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Too cloudy here saw nothing, it interferes with our Sky satellite signal if it's really strong and it didn't last two nights.
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Well taken, too cloudy in North East and raining too!
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I have only seen the lights in colour by eye once in the last 20 years, but I bet I have missed quite a few because of the clouds.

Comment

That is an amazing pic. I’ve had no chance to see them down here in the south - missed them Sunday and cloud on Monday. Deep sigh!
                Rose

Comment

That's lovely

May I ask what the exposure settings were please?
                  Also, I spotted a string of lights mid picture. Was this a satellite?

I have yet to see the northern lights but living on the south coast of Devon that's hardly surprising and even though they were apparently visible this far south I still couldn't

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                    That's lovely

May I ask what the exposure settings were please?
                    Also, I spotted a string of lights mid picture. Was this a satellite?

I have yet to see the northern lights but living on the south coast of Devon that's hardly surprising and even though they were apparently visible this far south I still couldn't

Cheers,
                    John
                    Thanks.

The settings were

15 seconds at f4 ISO800 (On a 6D and 24-105 f4L)

In camera long exposure noise reduction was on & High ISO speed NR was on highest setting

It still needed some more noise reduction in Lightroom after processing the RAW file.

I had set the focus while it was still light from where I was going to set up the tripod.

I think the string of lights must have been a satelite as a later shot had the same string but further across the skye.

Comment

Lovely photo, well done.
                      Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Well done.

Comment

Working...
                        X