My first ever picture post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first ever picture post

Hi all. I am very new to this, but recently managed to get my EOS 1200D for my 40th birthday. Entry level it may be - but I am loving every shot.

Took this shot a few days ago whilst on holiday near Sherwood Forest. Its amazing when the shots you "set up" don't turn out like you want, but the random ones that you "just see" work out well.

I love this one of my wife and 3 yr old silhouetted against the sky.

Any comments appreciated (and I pray I've uploaded this right)

Mother & Son by jonbyleshardman, on Flickr
    Jon

Relative newbie with a Canon EOS 1200D.
    Canon18-55mm EF-S lens 1:3.5-5.6 III, along with a 70-210mm (25 yr old) sigma golden oldie lens 1:4-5.6.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119126571@N02/

Re: My first ever picture post

Nice picture. had a nose at your flickr and also love the one of your lad eating the icecream.

Well done.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Appreciated Andy. Thank you.

The ice cream pic is one of my my favorites to be honest. Again, just one of those random moments that capture a good image.
      I may get it uploaded onto here. I am presuming the more the merrier?
      Being completely new to this, I take it sharing images is the key? I don't want to overload.....

Thanks again
      Jon

Canon18-55mm EF-S lens 1:3.5-5.6 III, along with a 70-210mm (25 yr old) sigma golden oldie lens 1:4-5.6.

Comment

Nice picture and welcome to the forum! :)
        1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Nice one Jon B ... and welcome aboard.
          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Very nicely done and Welcome to the forum

Tom

Comment

A lovely image- full of mood and atmosphere. I can see why you like it so much.
              James
              James Boardman Woodend
              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Welcome Jon ,good shot I do like the effect of this ,upload what you want generally we are a friendly bunch on here with a good variety of interests

Comment

That's a nice image. Welcome aboard, I look forward to seeing more of your images.
                  Andy

Comment

Welcome Jon ,lovely image mate looks like your off to flying start with your new camera.

Comment

Jon, that is a really lovely image and a cracking way to introduce yourself in the Forum. And if that was a grab shot you've clearly got a great instinctive eye for composition. Great, sharp detail of the grass, leaves and hair (particularly the version on Flickr), and the white cloud is sitting in the perfect position as they seem to be walking towards it, and adds just a touch of interest in the middle. Did you do any processing or is that as it came out of camera?
                      Looking forward to seeing more.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging comments. (Keep them coming!)
                        Alex, I read some of the discussions on the forum, so I started shooting in RAW and JPEG from day one, which has been fantastic for quality and control etc.
                        I've been using DPP (as it came with the camera) for editing etc, but this pic just needed converting to b&w, cropping, a bit of sharpening and a little play with the contrast to get the result I wanted. (Not sure if that counts as excessive processing or not?)
                        Is there any benefit to shooting in monochrome setting on camera if you are using RAW?
                        I do have some questions about shooting in low light and other things, which I will post soon, so if you can help me out it would be good.
                        Thanks again all. Much appreciated.
                        Jon

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jon!

Great first post... and the rest on Flickr are pretty good too! 'Entry level' or not, if you have an eye for a shot, that's what counts most... and I think you have.

Looking forward to seeing more shots from you soon.

Mike
                          flickr
                          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Welcome aboard Jon, you certainly started on a high with your two images both of which are excellent

Theres no way to shoot in black and white if using raw as the file is the full colour version unprocessed in camera unlike jpeg, I'd always go wth raw as you can do so much more with it

Gordon
                            Last edited by GORDH; 20-09-2014, 14:18.

Comment

Welcome to what i have found to be a very friendly and interesting forum.

Great shot and has a real atmosphere about it.

As has been said previously its best to always shoot in RAW as it gives so much more opportunities when processing. In terms of black and white its a better result to convert afterwards than in camera. Shooting in B&W in camera reduces the amount of info in the image, strangely a good conversion comes from a colour shot.
                              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Working...
                              X