Latest black and white Project - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest black and white Project - Part 2

This is the second photograph of this pair, taken at the Smithfield build in Hanley, Staffordshire. Went for something quite different with this one, placing the building on a skew and shooting closer too so that I get two different looks to the glass sides, rather than the symmetry of the last one. Again, I wanted to stick with the "Film Noir" style of editing with lots of dodge and burn. And yes, removed the light

Angled Light by Andrew Nixon, on Flickr
    Andy

EOS 6D | 16-35 F/4 | 24-105mm f4L | 50mm F1.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 MKII
    Flickr Page
    Facebook Page

Re: Latest black and white Project - Part 2

Again, Andrew, you processing is spot on

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post

Tom
      Thank you very much Tom, appreciate that...very happy how this has turned out again...just what I wanted...Just as a point of reference, below is the raw file straight from the camera...underexposed by 1 stop to keep a duller feel and helped to control the light reflecting off the right side of the buildings glass...the sun was setting and I didn't want the orange glow to shine over it...

IMG_3979.jpg
      Andy

Flickr Page
      Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post

Tom
        agree with Tom - well done
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          agree with Tom - well done
          Cheers Ian...

Never done any of this kind of style architecture editing before. can ask folks if the feel of Film Noir comes across ok??
          Andy

Flickr Page
          Facebook Page

Comment

like this a lot Andrew. Well done.
            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by anderson.council View Post
              like this a lot Andrew. Well done.
              Many thanks Scott...Glad this style seems to be accepted ok, as I know its not the normal black and white processing people go for..Cheers
              Andy

Flickr Page
              Facebook Page

Comment

Excellent skills, I can't see images like this

Alan

Comment

Top job again mate , these will look good on the wall fella

Comment

What an excellent image. The composition is strong, simple & graphic - the processing compliments the image and builds on its strengths. This style of photography is not often seen on this forum and I hope you continue to produce pictures of this quality.
                    Love it !
                    James
                    James Boardman Woodend
                    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Also - you may benefit from looking at the work of people like 'Bildwerker Freiburg' & 'wolfgangmothes' & ' Christian Grass' ( to name just a few) on 500px.com
                      Hope you enjoy their work as much as I do
                      James
                      James Boardman Woodend
                      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Whilst this is another excellent picture and very well processed in a style that appeals to me, the first one you posted I prefer. It's more dynamic and has a stronger feel to it.

Please don't feel I dislike it, as I don't. But you showed the better of the two first
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Like Alan it's not quite working for me and I'm not sure why.

Possibly there's too much empty space or it's too black for my taste - I know there's not a lot of structure in the sky but what there was has vanished. Also does lack the same dynamism as the previous version.

It's good but it's not quite C.....g...
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
                            Excellent skills, I can't see images like this

Alan
                            Thank you very much Alan...

Originally posted by Dave s View Post
                            Top job again mate , these will look good on the wall fella
                            Cheers Dave....yeah, the pair are certainly going off to print, multiple actually, quite a few people want the pair of these, which i'm very happy to hear..

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                            What an excellent image. The composition is strong, simple & graphic - the processing compliments the image and builds on its strengths. This style of photography is not often seen on this forum and I hope you continue to produce pictures of this quality.
                            Love it !
                            James
                            Thank you very much James. I did notice this style is not that prevalent, probably not to everyone's choosing I suspect. I certainly will continue James, just need to find another "unique" building now...ha ha ha..

Cheers
                            Andy

Flickr Page
                            Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                              Also - you may benefit from looking at the work of people like 'Bildwerker Freiburg' & 'wolfgangmothes' & ' Christian Grass' ( to name just a few) on 500px.com
                              Hope you enjoy their work as much as I do
                              James
                              Thanks very much for the names, James, i'll certainly be looking them and see their works of art..thank you...

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                              Whilst this is another excellent picture and very well processed in a style that appeals to me, the first one you posted I prefer. It's more dynamic and has a stronger feel to it.

Please don't feel I dislike it, as I don't. But you showed the better of the two first
                              He he he...To be honest, that first one was just the first one I came too and thought "ooooh, now then"...I take your point completely Alan, and appreciate your thoughts on both of them...

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                              Like Alan it's not quite working for me and I'm not sure why.

Possibly there's too much empty space or it's too black for my taste - I know there's not a lot of structure in the sky but what there was has vanished. Also does lack the same dynamism as the previous version.

It's good but it's not quite C.....g...
                              Many thanks El Sid, I do appreciate hearing the not so good feedback as well as the good. I much prefer people to be honest with a photo and tell me what they truly think..So, your points are taken on board mate..The reason I went for this second one is because its dramatically different than the last. Less real estate to work on though. I did initially crop this down to a more "letterbox" style of shot, but, it didn't work for me, so I reverted back to the full shot and chose to darken the whole background more to give a sense of open expanse. You may or may not follow what the heck i'm going on about there...ha ha ha....Again, I appreciate your comments mate.
                              Andy

Flickr Page
                              Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                              X