Advice on lighting choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on lighting choice

Having played around outside trying to get some halfway decent macro pictures and had to fight the wind, poor light etc I thought that I would like ot try and build a small light box / tabletop studio that could be used in my garage on the model building workbench which is about 7ft long by 2ft 6in deep.

The idea I had was that if I used some high power desk lamps and either white or silver refelctive cards to help even out the light source it would potentially give me a better chance of getting some decent pictures. Yes ideally I could get multiple flash heads and proper studio lights but I don't want to spend that amount of money at the moment so this will be a cheapish job to see if it works and if so then I would consider upgrading.

My question is which would provide the best temperature light source I was thinking of either LED or Halogen. The garage already has some flourescent and halogen lights in it. I would turn these off whilst taking the pictures so that I do not contaminate too many light sources.

From what I have seen on the web Halogen is probably the best but it gives out a lot more heat.

Comments and advice would be very welcome

Re: Advice on lighting choice

Halogen for ambient + popup for infill works well

Brian
    ef-r

Comment

I brought a light tent from ebay...its about 1 meter cube came with 4 different colour backdrops that attach with velcrow..cost me £15..you may need to look for this as some can cost a lot more.I use my 550 flash off camera,dont mater where you place it ouside the tent as the light bounces off everything.a few test shots should give you your f stop and Bobs your uncle..(or in my case my brother.}good luck...

Coda
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Guys, thanks for the advice I will play over the next couple of weeks and see how I get on, cant do much this weekend as I am out at Wings and Wheels on Saturday and then on Sunday I am taking the family to WHF to feed the cats, if I get any decent shots of that and don't get eaten I may post one of them

Comment

Working...
        X