Cable release terminal conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable release terminal conversion

Although I have a 5D MK IV and a compatible cable release, I would like to convert an old cable release that is a remnant from my old film camera, to make it compatible with a friend's EOS 80D (3.5mm pin). However, I have no clue as to what each of the three wires is and where it is to be connected to the pin plug. Any information on this? Thank you.
    Vasilis, Greece
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Vasilis - I'm not sure I would bother (and potentially risk connecting things together which should be kept apart).

The proper Canon release is only £16.99 in the UK from Canon themselves and should be available from other suppliers at lower cost.

I realise that you are not in the UK, but I would be surprised if the Greek arm of Canon would charge substantially more.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

John, you are absolutely right. The price is extremely low. It's the do-it-yourselfer in me that seeks opportunities to plug the soldering gun in and prove to me that "he" is still active! You see, in older times we used to fix things, not junk them. It hurts to see expensive (when new) gadgets to be thrown into the recycle bin, because it costs more to repair them than buy new ones. Of course, I will not risk causing the 80D problems by a possible messing the wires up. Thanks for your response.
      Vasilis
      EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

The normal connections for Canon remotes is connect the sleeve of the 2.5mm jack to the ring and this equals the same as half pressure on the shutter button, connecting the tip to the sleeve is the same as full pressure. There should be no external voltages applied to any of the pins.

Comment

Thank you MartinEOS. I will probably experiment. Could something go wrong with the camera in case of a connection error, if, for instance, there is a short between any of the wires? Of course, no voltage will be applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Epicuros View Post
            Thank you MartinEOS. I will probably experiment. Could something go wrong with the camera in case of a connection error, if, for instance, there is a short between any of the wires? Of course, no voltage will be applied.
            If it does may I recommend H. Lehmann Ltd of Stoke-on-Trent. Authorised Canon Service Centre. They provide an excellent service and good communications.
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thank you Trev B. I live in Greece and so does my friend with whose camera I intend to experiment. In case technical support is required Canon Greece is available; hope it won't be required. :-)

Comment

Working...
              X