I drove by the lock at Culham on the Thames the other evening:

River Thames at Culham by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Culham Lock by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

River Thames at Culham by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Feedback welcome! Thanks

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: River Thames at Culham

They're gorgeous Richard! The light's lovely and the whole scene's pin-sharp, but I can't see the EXIF data.

I especially like #1, it reminds me of Constable's Haywain
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
      They're gorgeous Richard! The light's lovely and the whole scene's pin-sharp, but I can't see the EXIF data.

I especially like #1, it reminds me of Constable's Haywain
      You should find the EXIF data if you click through to Flickr (I hope!). Thank you for your comments!

Comment

Lovely set of images. Beautiful lighting and lovely and sharp

Comment

Agree with what has already been said but i cant help feeling they are just a little too sharp, in particular the trees where they meet the sky - no big distration though

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Beautiful evening light ................. it just makes the whole scene glow.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
              I think S_J_P is possibly refering to the bit at the top of the page
              "Please post technical information when displaying a photograph. Minimum details should include camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture and ISO value".

Beautiful images - great light!!
              Thanks for sharing

Mike
              www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Very nice, and what gorgeous light, they do look a little oversharpened here, but look fine at the larger sizes on flickr.
                Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
                  I think S_J_P is possibly refering to the bit at the top of the page
                  "Please post technical information when displaying a photograph. Minimum details should include camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture and ISO value".
                  Mike
                  Actually, I couldn't see the EXIF data, the Firefox plug-in I use said that the jpg file didn't have any!
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Beautiful shots. the light s just perfect.
                    David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                    All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Love the lighting very special when captured like that. I agree with Stans comment, on looking at first I thought they were HDR images, #1 is a great shot also my fav.

Ray

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback. It really is appreciated! I agonise about sharpening, so comments taken on board. And I really appreciate the very upbeat comments about the light and feel of the pictures. For what it is worth, the first is also my favourite!

Incidentally, no HDR treatment here. Some post processing in Lightroom 4.1.

I am sorry I have been so I'll-mannered as not to put the EXIF data up there. I will rectify that when I am on front of my computer instead of iPad. I can tell you they are all taken with the sublime 5DMkiii, with the kit 24-105 using Aperture priority metering. As for speed, aperture and ISO, I will have to look all that up.

Cheers

Richard

Comment

A thought for the future regarding sharpening: only sharpen what you need to, which rarely means the whole shot.

Things closer to you appear sharper than those further away. Atmospherics, heat haze and all sorts of things contribute and subconsciously, your brain is used to this. When we see a landscape photo where everything is sharp, our subconscious is prodding us that something is amiss.

Therefore, a little sharpening in the foreground, maybe a touch extra on any main subject, but let the background and the sky alone. it's a tiny bit more work than the one button approach, but it is often the final polish that makes the shot work with all of our mental tick boxes.

Hope that helps.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Thanks for that Colin

I'm finding that with my 7D images I don't need to sharpen as much as my other bodies.
                            Some areas appear oversharpened compared to others when using USM.
                            I've started experimenting with High Pass so hopefully this will cure the problem.
                            My "Juvenile Wren" post was sharpened this way whereas my "Roe Doe and Fawns" image was sharpened with USM.
                            As was pointed out, the grass in the Deer image appears oversharpened compared to the Deer itself.

Mike
                            www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                              Agree with what has already been said but i cant help feeling they are just a little too sharp, in particular the trees where they meet the sky - no big distration though
                              I had another look in Lightroom at what I had done on the sharpening front, and discovered that I had done nothing on that front!!! That was straight out of my 5Diii, and 24-105mm lens... Quality kit! I will obviously have to go for some "unsharpening"!

Comment

Working...
                              X