X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powernapper
    replied
    Re: Campus sunset

The softness is something to do with the way this site handles attachments. The 20x8" print on the wall adjacent to my desk is razor sharp. Wouldn't a longer exposure have burned out the sky, as in the lightened image?

Leave a comment:

• fatfred
    replied

Originally posted by Rob.Richards View Post
    I really think the location is great, however, I am not sure the HDR is as sympathetic as it could be the sky seems a bit overdone?!?! I personally would have gone for the long exposure and tried to just get the naturallight but thats me!
    Got to agree. I don't know if it is me but it looks a little soft.

I would like to see a long exposure as a comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Rob.Richards
    Guest replied

I really think the location is great, however, I am not sure the HDR is as sympathetic as it could be the sky seems a bit overdone?!?! I personally would have gone for the long exposure and tried to just get the naturallight but thats me!

Leave a comment:

• powernapper
    started a topic Campus sunset

Campus sunset

I work in the department of media at a University in the north west of England. Once a month we make our facilities available for use by the University's photographic society.

This shot was my reward for staying late to support one of the meetings. As I set off for home I was greeted by this sunset.

I produced this image from a single file, typically an HDR will be created from a montage of at least 3 bracketed shots (sorry if you know all this already).

To produce this image I first retouched the original, then I made two copies - a lightened version and a darkened one. These 3 files were then brought together in one Photoshop document and then I set to work masking, erasing and finally dodging and burning the individual layers.

Finally I made a flattened jpeg (always keep your PSD file in its native photoshop format complete with all layers) and then I whacked on maximum sharpness using the unsharp mask filter - helping to create the surreal effect that HDRs seem to benefit from.

EOS 10D, perched on top of a wooden bollard (yes, I had my camera with me but not my tripod - doh!). I took this in October 2007, from memory it was 1/10th sec., 100ASA, RAW, can't remember the f stop.
    Attached Files
Working...
X