Kirkjufell, Iceland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirkjufell, Iceland

Not massively happy with these. I'd seen so many fantastic images of this place that when I finally got there for myself I think I got "stage fright" and didn't really do these justice. Being there at the middle of the day didn't really help either but I was on holiday with my very patient other half and so it wasn't a photo safari. That's my excuse anyway.

Scott

Kirkjufellfoss, the waterfall which is actually across a road from the more famous mountain.

Kirkjufellfoss by anderson.council, on Flickr

Kirkjufell with the foss in the foreground.

Kirkjufell by anderson.council, on Flickr
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: Kirkjufell, Iceland

I would be happy if they were mine Scott, I like them both but the second one is the best for me, I really like the shadows of the clouds.

Regards Paul

Comment

I like both of them and although I am a fan of the milky water I think a bit shorter shutter speed would have been better to give just a little detail in the water

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Scott, I'd also be happy with those. I like the abundance of falling water in No 1, but I also like the sharp mountain the 2nd shot.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

They are both very good images, but The 1st image ts the set for me

Tom

Comment

Both are very good in my view.

Doug.
            Cameras... 7D, 350D
            Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
            Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Thanks Paul, Stan, Andy, Tom and Doug. Ill try to remember that next time I get there Stan, hopefully that will be sometime when the aurora are displaying.

Scott
              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Both nice images Scott, I particularly like the composition in the second.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I think both do a great job of capturing the scene.
                  I like both, but the lines, light and water in the second all come together for me.
                  Thanks for sharing.
                  Andy

Comment

I'd be chuffed with those. Nice to see somewhere different right enough :)
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Milky water or frozen water; always a toughie, and one that can't really be answered unless you shot one of each, or a range, for comparison...

As it happens I really like the effect in #1; to me it looks just right... whereas #2 looks to have been a touch faster on the shutter speed, and doesn't look quite right to me! It's neither milky or frozen, and I think that is always the dilemma!

Regardless; two very nice images from yet another country on our bucket-list!

Cheers;

Lee
                      Cheers;
                      Lee
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Dreamy Scott .. well done sir....
                        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Hi Scott,
                          Nice images - you have done well for a mid day shoot. If you are at all interested, there are about 7 night shots of Kirkjufell on my 500px site. Name is James Boardman-Woodend.
                          Cheers
                          James
                          James Boardman Woodend
                          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Bill, Cyberman, Paul, Lee, Wayne and James - thanks for all the comments they are much appreciated. It's funny how the water thing divides opinion. My preference here is for the first shot - possibly because it was my own composition (shot 2 is an attempt to replicate many better images of this place) and I prefer the capture of the water. I would agree with Lee that is is a bit ... messy? in shot 2.

James, I'm well aware of your beautiful aurora laden shots of Kirkjufell - many of which I'm referring to in my OP as "fantastic images" - I think that's why I was a little disappointed with my efforts but hey we all start somewhere and like everything in life we can only improve incrementally by trying things. Funnily enough, on 500px, shot 1 is currently rating as popular (my first :) and shot 2 has a Pulse of 0.0, so you just can't tell what other folks find pleasing.

I know one thing though, we will be going back to Iceland sometime.

Thanks again
                            Scott
                            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Hi Scott,
                              Just looked at the image on 500px - looks absolutely stunning on that site. Lovely contrast between the bright water and shadows with that very dramatic mountIn as a background! Great stuff !
                              James
                              James Boardman Woodend
                              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Working...
                              X