Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saltburn Pier

Saltburn is famous for its sunsets

Saltburn-by-the Sea sunset. Cropped from original. Looks more balanced I think by Bobby Canon, on Flickr
    My Website

Re: Saltburn Pier

Do like how you've turned the pier into a silhouette, it almost looks too delicate to stand up against the the ravages of the sea.

But (and I'm just a beginner to feel free to ignore) I'd alter the crop a little, drop the horizon which cuts through the middle at the moment, down to the third.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Superb, one for the wall I'd say.
      I'd raise the Horizon in the frame myself, more sea, less sky - taking out the top level of sky I think makes the image stronger - the higher part of the sky is a bit plain and doesn't add anything for me; but I'm no expert.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies. I take on board the points raised about the crop, and really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. This image was originally in landscape format but never looked right to me. I tried various crops, including the ones you have kindly suggested, but this was always the one that made me smile.
        My Website

Comment

Agree with Brian about the crop of the sky.
          Love the silhouette of the pier and the light from the setting sun across the water.

David
          Last edited by djguk47; 17-03-2011, 10:18.
          David

Comment

I like it as it is....only been to Salburn once but could not stay too late as its a long ride home.still got some good images
            Its on my list for a revisit,

Coda
            There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

I'm with Bri & Di on this, crop a bit from the top and it will be a much stronger image.

Taken in the summer ? as the sun sets behind the land rather than the sea in winter.
              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I like that .......... crop as suggested and it will be better.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Correct Les. Taken last summer whilst the Icelandic volcano was doing its thing. I don't know if this contributed to the amount of beautiful sunsets we had last year or not. Thanks to everyone for their comments.
                  Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                  I'm with Bri & Di on this, crop a bit from the top and it will be a much stronger image.

Taken in the summer ? as the sun sets behind the land rather than the sea in winter.
                  My Website

Comment

fantastic shot!
                    400D, 18-55 IS, Tammron 70-300, 5D Mark II, 24-105L,17-40L,50mm 1.8mark11, 430ex11 Flash Gun

Comment

I agree with the others re cropping but to me the colours are fantastic. Lovely image.
                      Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Canon View Post
                        Saltburn is famous for its sunsets
                        and no wonder!! slight change with the crop at the top as Brian suggests, and you have a real cracker there, one for the wall for certain!
                        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
                        X