Thirty One Minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thirty One Minutes

The title may seem odd but it defines the time difference between the two images. Both taken on the 7th January 2020, with slightly differing compositions.

#1 Lighting Up 07:40

#2 Illuminated 08:11

#3 Illuminated reprocessed with no sky sharpening and a slightly different transformation of the verticals.

Last edited by ST-EOS; 24-01-2020, 15:11.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Amazing, two lovely shots especially the second
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

The first sunset is good ........... the second is quite amazing, almost Armageddon.
      Colin

Comment

Second shot is awesome

Comment

That second shot is a belter!
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks gentlemen for your comments on these two images.

I do occasionally see this sort of colour in the sky on a morning and keep meaning to get out and capture a composition with a more interesting foreground, rather than just a quick grab shot from a bedroom window. Unfortunatley by the time I spot the sky starting to look promising it's too late to get out and about to somewhere with a better foreground.

My ususal fallback composition is to frame the image to excluded my neighbours houses/cars etc. and capture something like this. But whilst it is mostly concentrating on the sky I'm not sure that there is sufficient interest in the treetops to anchor the sky.

I would wlcome your thoughts on this version:-

Last edited by ST-EOS; 20-01-2020, 16:52.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Wonderful sky shots Peter, second one is stunning.

Bill.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Two interesting images. Just a wee bit confused as to the time as you listed it a 07:40 and then at 08:11 where you would think it is getting lighter by 08:11 and not darker. That said, the sky in the second is a lot meaning and a tad bit over sharpen which makes it look not a natural IMO, however it does set a very dramatic scene for that 2nd image.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                  Two interesting images. Just a wee bit confused as to the time as you listed it a 07:40 and then at 08:11 where you would think it is getting lighter by 08:11 and not darker. That said, the sky in the second is a lot meaning and a tad bit over sharpen which makes it look not a natural IMO, however it does set a very dramatic scene for that 2nd image.

Tom
                  Hi Tom

My apologies for the late reply to your post, I didn't get any notification of it via the forum. I suspect that is due to the settings on my account, rather than an issue with the updated forum.

Hopefully I can help clarify the timings and the difference in levels of brightness which (if I'm reading your comments correctly) you think are at odds with the image capture times. It may be my choice of ISO that has created the confusion.

The first image was captured at 07:40 using an ISO of 1600, the second was captured at 08:11 using an ISO of 200. Then of course my post processing may have had an impact on the luminance of each image.

The image below is a screen snip of the images in my Lightroom Library from that morning. For clarity I have given the edited tiffs a star rating (to help identify them) and also reset their associated RAW files to their original out of camera settings, hopefully this clears any confusion.

With regard to the over sharpening that you make reference to I have reprocessed the second image and excluded any sharpening to the sky, apart that is from the capture sharpening that Lightroom adds on import of the image. I shall (if I can) add the second edit in my first post on this thread so you can compare them.

Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Working...
                  X