Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redcar Groyne

One from last Wednesday.

I can confirm that a Mindshift Backlight 26L camera bag isn't waterproof without its cover on. However I can confirm that given a large enough rouge wave, they float when containing a 16-35 f4L, 70-200 2.8L, 50mm, various filters and miscellaneous items, don't ask me how I know .

#1 The original Image as first posted.

Exif, ISO200, f16, 4 second exposure.

#2 This is the image where I've reduced the red saturation.

#3 a slightly different composition, minus the Cormorant but including a cargo vessel, again with the red saturation reduced.

Last edited by ST-EOS; 09-02-2020, 16:45.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Love your humour... I won't ask!

Love the shot too, nice diagonal, 3rds covered, sea not too milky.
    If it were me, I'd tone down the red saturation a little, and remove the stone bottom right.
    But that's me being picky with someone else's shot! ;-)

Nice.

M
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Very nice Peter I like that
      Welcome to the club, I assume you dropped your gear in the oggin, done it more times than a I care to remember, plus bogs on Dartmoor. When I'm away from my usual photography that I put on this site. I carry my gear in a military type bergin and stuff a life jacket in the top pocket --- works wonderfully
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
        Love your humour... I won't ask!

Love the shot too, nice diagonal, 3rds covered, sea not too milky.
        If it were me, I'd tone down the red saturation a little, and remove the stone bottom right.
        But that's me being picky with someone else's shot! ;-)

Nice.

M
        Thanks Mike, I've tweaked the image to reduce the red a little.
        Having done so I expected to have to re-link the image in my first post but it seems not. Hopefully you will see a difference. Is the stone you refer to at the bottom left rather than right?
        Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
          Very nice Peter I like that
          Welcome to the club, I assume you dropped your gear in the oggin, done it more times than a I care to remember, plus bogs on Dartmoor. When I'm away from my usual photography that I put on this site. I carry my gear in a military type bergin and stuff a life jacket in the top pocket --- works wonderfully
          Hi Trev, thanks for your comments.
          I didn't drop the bag, I had it on the sand behind me. I had just placed my filter pouch back in it having taken the pouch off my tripod. As I turned back round to take the camera off the tripod the wave came in soaking me up to my knee caps and turning my camera bag into a canoe .

Luckily the bag is a rear opening so only a little bow wave managed to deposit sea water and sand into the space in the bag where my camera fits. The only damage was to my pride really.
          The front pockets (face down on the sand) of the bag sustained a little bit of water ingress leaving me with damp gloves and scarf etc. Everything else seems to have escaped any lasting damage. I let the bag dry naturally and then removed the sand residue from inside it.

I wont fall for that again, the bag is designed to be swivelled around the wearers body so that the back can be opened to remove/replace items in to it, I can now see the benefits of that design feature.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

I like that Peter, for all the reasons previously mentioned. I also agree with Mike's thoughts on the red: whilst red is an effective focal point to the image and perfectly placed on the intersection of the thirds, it was just a touch too brash.

Nitpicking aside, a lovely image with believable movement in the water.
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
              I like that Peter, for all the reasons previously mentioned. I also agree with Mike's thoughts on the red: whilst red is an effective focal point to the image and perfectly placed on the intersection of the thirds, it was just a touch too brash.

Nitpicking aside, a lovely image with believable movement in the water.
              Thanks Colin, I've now added a reworked image to my original post and include one additional with a different composition. However I personally prefer the square composition, minus the ship but would be interest in how others think on this.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Very nice indeed.....I think the scene maybe a little different today
                Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Very nice Peter, makes Redcar look quite respectable.

Bill.
                  7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Definitely the square crop, reduced red saturation and no ship.

This is a very well crafted seascape and it would be interesting to know what filters were used. I would guess:

Little stopper
                    0.6 neutral hard grad
                    Circular polariser
                    Colin

Comment

Lovely set of images. Nice composition and water movement.

Tom

Comment

Definitely the square crop, reduced red saturation and no ship.

This is a very well crafted seascape and it would be interesting to know what filters were used. I would guess:

Little stopper
                        0.6 neutral hard grad
                        Circular polariser
                        Hi Colin, I was using a NiSi V6 holder complete with the Landscape Polariser, NiSi Medium Grad 0.9. I can’t be certain which ND I used for these as I started with the NiSi 6 stop (4 seconds seems about right for a six stop CP and the medium Grad)but I’m sure I changed to a ten stop during the time I was on the beach, though that may have been for later images rather than these.
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

I wasn't far out then.
                          Colin

Comment

I wasn't far out then.
                            Show off! ;-)
                            flickr
                            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Agree with Colin.

Square crop, no ship.
                              Very nice... and yes, I got my left and right mixed up... clearly I meant the 'other' right, so that's left.
                              I think that's right!

Mike
                              flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X