YONGNUO NEW YN622C FLASH CONTROL UNIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YONGNUO NEW YN622C FLASH CONTROL UNIT

I like the look of this new unit from Yongnuo giving both Manual and E-TTL control. The price at around £61 also seems very reasonable.

What do you think

See video http://youtu.be/NTUuFGTHskY

Malcolm
    Malcolm Alexander - Alexam Images - Canon 7D - 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM- 24-105 f4 L IS USM - 50mm 1.4 - Epson R2880 Printer - Speedlites Two 580EX II & 430 EX II - Lencarta Two 300w/s Studio lights

Re: YONGNUO NEW YN622C FLASH CONTROL UNIT

Thanks Malcolm, very interesting indeed.
    I have the pixel kings these look even better with the hotshoe pass through and the ratios.
    That price seems to be for 2 units, that makes these cheap as chips, if they are realiable they would be well worth having.

Trev

Comment

I also have the Pixal King units but if these had been around when I purchasd the Pixel units I may well have got these instead as they look as if they could be very good and at that price very reasonable.

Comment

I also have the Pixel King units but if these had been around when I purchasd the Pixel units I may well have got these instead as they look as if they could be very good and at that price very reasonable.

Comment

I have just sent off a question about multi speedlites. I have two 580 EXii's and one 430 EXii and want to know how to fire all three off camera using E-TTL. With the one Y622C on camera and the second Y622C on say the 580 EXii, does that speedlite fire the other 580 and 430 as slaves, or do I need extra Y622C units. Not a problem if I do, because in my opinion, to have my 3 speedlites all firing E-TTL without line of sight would be great and still not dramatically expensive compared to PW's. I await an answer and will post when known.

Malcolm
          Last edited by Alexam; 07-09-2012, 05:39.
          Malcolm Alexander - Alexam Images - Canon 7D - 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM- 24-105 f4 L IS USM - 50mm 1.4 - Epson R2880 Printer - Speedlites Two 580EX II & 430 EX II - Lencarta Two 300w/s Studio lights

Comment

Originally posted by Alexam View Post
            I have just sent off a question about multi speedlites. I have two 580 EXii's and one 430 EXii and want to know how to fire all three off camera using E-TTL. With the one Y622C on camera and the second Y622C on say the 580 EXii, does that speedlite fire the other 580 and 430 as slaves, or do I need extra Y622C units. Not a problem if I do, because in my opinion, to have my 3 speedlites all firing E-TTL without line of sight would be great and still not dramatically expensive compared to PW's. I await an answer and will post when known.

Malcolm
            This is not the reply - haven't had one. However, it's a great bit of work by Clive Bolton from NZ.

What we know gets in the way of what we could know.

I have used Canon’s Flash Control menus for 5 years, appreciating being able to control remote flashes from the camera. Well, sort of. Canon has been using an optical pulse “wireless” command system for off-camera flashes, which works within a limited set of conditions.

Pixel released their King triggers to remove this limit, but their development was truncated. However, kudos to Pixel for pioneering this category of trigger/controller.

Now we have the Yongnuo YN-622C which seems to fulfil the promise of a full implementation of Canon flash technologies over a radio link. It seems that Yongnuo has not only achieved this objective, but has added a wide range of triggering and photographer-friendly capabilities.

Yongnuo have a range of hot-shoe flashes, with a reputation for unreliability. The design engineer for this device looks like single-handedly rescuing the brand.

The YN-622C is a transceiver type radio device designed to go between a camera and one or more off-camera flashes, to provide:
            • E-TTL, FEC & HSS off-camera triggering
            • Radio control of off-camera flashes from camera flash control menus
            • General-purpose triggering

There is much (unnecessary) debate about the merit of TTL flash exposure versus Manual power levels. Each method has its place, and photographers who understand the technologies can get predictable results. The YN-622C is a tool for both approaches.

One part of Canon’s E-TTL is often misunderstood – Ratios. It is more than setting an FEC or EV adjustment on two flash groups. That still leaves distance, height, angle, relative powers, etc that can make a substantial difference. Canon’s ratio evaluates the actual contribution to the image of each group of flashes, and sets the level accordingly. It is much more accurate than the EV method. The YN-622C implements the genuine Canon technology in the camera.

The YN-622C does not provide for firmware updates by the user. Canon Wireless Master/Slave is not available, being replaced by the 622 procedures. The transceiver buttons are hard to find by touch, and are sensitive to accidentally changed settings. Only flashes in group C can be disabled remotely. It is not a significant list of drawbacks.

An examination of the case and internal components reveals a high-quality assembly. The case appears firm. I anticipate a good life expectancy.

My verdict: versatile, complex, well-made, suitable for many jobs, and low-priced. Buy it.

Rather than a review, a user guide has been produced.

If the link doesn't work, e-mail me on alexamimages@virginmedia.com and I will send the Pdf as I don't know how to add a Pdf to this message - unless someone can tell me.

Malcolm

Thanks to our editor Robert Scott for info on how to attach the following Pdf
            The Other YN622C User Guide.pdf
            Last edited by Alexam; 14-09-2012, 22:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexam View Post
              Malcolm
              Malcolm, I strongly suspect the answer to your question will be NO.
              You need 4 tranceivers. Keep us informed of their answer.

Trev

Comment

You are spot on Trev, no answer from Yongnuo, but the addition above seems to confirm that one for each speedlite and one on the camera. Still well worth the money as they seem to have a lot to offer. I have added a Pdf link for the latest information on the new Triggers Y 622C above.
                Last edited by Alexam; 15-09-2012, 08:25.

Comment

UPDATE, Clive Bolton has updated his 'The Other YN-622C User Guide' which gives additional information on which cameras and flash units work best and how to use them.

Anyone in the Midlands area that has these and would like to get together for a chat about them and exchange ideas, please contact me.

The latest update is here https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77...FpqNkpBYXBHajA

Comment

Bought two of these last month to work with a 5D3 and 580EX II and so far works well but more testing is needed.

They are transceivers, so can work at both ends eg, on camera or flash.
                    Included manual is a bit engchin but readable pity not avail. as an A4 doc for my week eyes.
                    Last edited by vbcoen; 09-02-2013, 15:50.
                    5D4, 24 - 105 f/4L, 16 - 35 f/2.8L, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, 580EX II.

Comment

Originally posted by vbcoen View Post
                      They are transceivers, so can work at both ends eg, on camera or flash.
                      Included manual is a bit engchin but readable pity not avail. as an A4 doc for my week eyes.
                      Check out Alexam's link in the post above, you'll need a (free) Google log-on to access but once you can it'll give access to a very useful user guide, taking you through each feature and is printable in A4.

The original 622c's user guide is available electronically too, but I'd stick with the one above!

For info (and relating to the older posts above), you cannot use a flash as a master optical wireless controller when fitted to the YN 622c, so you cannot control other slaves in E-TTL mode remotely optically.
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Wow! I have just downloaded the guide and it is really comprehensive and easy to follow. Also ordered two sets of these triggers. Can't wait to try them out. Thanks so much for the link.

Comment

Working...
                        X