Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small home studio set up - ebay kits

Folks,

As a self proclaimed natural light photographer, because i've not touched on alternative before, I think offering people a studio option even at home is a good option to have. Does anyone rate these starter kits at all?

It's seems cheap enough to get a taste for it, and worth the effort, I was thinking of getting one of those Yongnuo speedlights too to try it out.

Thanks,

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Small home studio set up - ebay kits

I dont think you get the lights with it just the stands and backdrops - I got my stands and poles from e bay last year for about £40 i think and I just use a sheet with them

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Small home studio set up - ebay kits

That seems like a really good buy, everything you need to get started.

Comment

Hi Paul,

I think this is the set that I got, I did get the lights as well, however I only got the Black and the White backdrops, all the stands, lights and brollies come in their own boxes and it all goes in one big carry bag.
        The only thing I found was that you really need some plastic clamps to hold the cloths to the two side poles to stretch it tight enough so you don't see any wrinkles, they are cheap enough though on Ebay.

Sadly I don't use it enough to really learn anything about lighting.

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks its food for thought indeed. Doesn't seem to difficult to set-up or even source the parts on their own on there. My main aim is to get the use of a flash and get used to how that all works first. A white backdrop could be useful too though. hmmm
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul those lights are continuous rather than flash , and the power is not adjustable on the lights.

I’m not saying you won’t learn anything by using these though.

I got caught out once buying a cheap stand and reflector arm - the quality was ‘toy like‘.
            Whilst not totally unfit for purpose and technically worth what I paid, really horrible to use.

Getting off the fence and giving a straight answer, in the context of were you say you want to go with photography I wouldn’t waste my £100 on these.

Trev

Comment

This is the kit i got from Jessops a couple of years ago and is ideal for a home studio in your living room and for £199 your cant go wrong. OK there is no backdrop but just use either a plain wall or sheet

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

So did you buy these Paul?……are they any good?

I’m after buying a portable support & backdrop (in white) as I’ve been asked to do a few people & portraits photos.
                It may only be a one-off so I dont want to spend too much!

Any advise welcomed, thanks
                Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

I bought these from ebuyer,

View Ebuyer's wide range of Camera and Camcorder Accessories all at great prices.

I'm quite impressed with them and the light is good but they are continuous light like Trev said.

I would personally buy a studio flash with soft box/brolly and use a reflector.
                  The advice I was given at my camera club was to only use 1 light when doing portraits. It seems more 'natural' as in representing the one light we have ie the sun. It also looks better in the eyes as you only have 1 catchlight. Some use a second light at the back to seperate the person from the backdrop or to light up the backdrop.

As for a backdrop I just use a bed sheet or wall like Stan.
                  Chris
                  Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Thanks Chris, seems a good price.
                    I need some sort of backdrop, as the 'shoot' is in a marquee. Could get that seperately tho.
                    Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by amphil007 View Post
                      I need some sort of backdrop, as the 'shoot' is in a marquee. Could get that seperately tho.
                      Hi Phil, does the marquee have somewhere to plug these lights in ?
                      Trev

Comment

Why not use the marquee?
                        Also agree with Trev you need power.
                        Chris
                        Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                          Hi Phil, does the marquee have somewhere to plug these lights in ?
                          Trev
                          Yes Trevor, I've been told it will have power.
                          As for using the marquee itself Chris, not sure untill I get there if thats a possibility.

thanks
                          Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

I’ve paid my money and took my chances on some cheap lighting equipment.
                            A few of these purchases have worked out and some haven’t.

I’m on a tight budget and I’m not suggesting people need the best top of the range kit.

This kit is sold as a 1250W professional lighting kit - I can comment on the toy like quality of supports eg Lightstands as I know someone who bought this kit. In my opinion they are borderline fit for purpose - they may be OK for some uses, as an "on location lighting solution" - with members of the public milling about, I don’t fancy it at all.

The lights themselves, I’m not sure what the 1250 W refers to. They are far from ideal no control of output at source, I’d recommend carrying spare bulbs.

The figures ££££s don’t add up unless you want or need them to.
                            There are 4 light stands included - You could expect to pay between 30 - £50 for half decent nightstands alone - since the seller in not running a loss making charity they need to build down to a quality that makes a reasonable profit.

Buyers have no real grounds for complaint, as you actually do end up getting something which is arguably worth it‘s £115 price tag. You can have a lot of fun with it an get some nice results if you have the skills.

I’m not saying don’t buy - just be aware of limitations and what you will get for your hard earned dosh.

Trev
                            Last edited by Trevoreast; 24-03-2013, 14:55.

Comment

Working...
                            X