Really daft question about flash....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really daft question about flash....

New to flash photography, have just bought the Yongnuo 565.

If I have my 600d on Tv or Av or manual, how do I decide my settings in the camera, ie aperture and speed? I can mess about until I get it ok but wondered what the accepted way is.

Many thanks.

Re: Really daft question about flash....

Have a look at this youtube video, Syl Arena is quite good on flash and I would recommend his book as well "Speedlighter's Handbook" as well

In this Canon-specific workshop led by Syl Arena, you will learn how and when to use your Canon Speedlite -- both on and off your camera. The emphasis will b...

I hope this helps
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Much obliged.

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
        Have a look at this youtube video, Syl Arena is quite good on flash and I would recommend his book as well "Speedlighter's Handbook" as well

In this Canon-specific workshop led by Syl Arena, you will learn how and when to use your Canon Speedlite -- both on and off your camera. The emphasis will b...

I hope this helps
        Ditto the book. I got mine from Amazon.

Comment

As you have a manual flash, there's a (relatively) simple rule, which Syl Arena (amongst others) teach....

Treat each image as two separate exposures, expose for the background first to obtain appropriate shutter-speed and aperture (and ISO)
          Next adjust the flash output to obtain your desired subject illumination.

You can then fine-tune the background exposure alone by adjusting the shutter-speed without impacting the subject (within the limits of your flash-sync speed), you can vary both the background and subject illumination in unison by adjusting the aperture, or you can fine-tune the subject illumination alone by varying the flash output.

With automatic flash, it becomes simultaneously simpler and more complex, so manual is a great place to start!
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
          X