How to improve my flash phtotgraphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to improve my flash phtotgraphy

I`m basically rubbish at flash photography and was wondering if there is an online guide to improving or a book one of you guys can recommend? many thanks Harvey

Re: How to improve my flash phtotgraphy

I can't recommend any books, however I just search the internet and watch youtube videos. The main thing is practise and trying different positions for the flashes.
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Brilliant book for canon speedlite system by Syl Arena just look on Amazon (one with boy smashing pumpkins on front). Plus loads of strobe and flash tutorials on YouTube by adorama and many others
      EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

A second recommendation for Syl Arena's Speedliters Handbook, the best £16 I ever spent on photography.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
          A second recommendation for Syl Arena's Speedliters Handbook, the best £16 I ever spent on photography.
          Yep me too ..its really good
          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Good tip, I will check that out too.
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
              (one with boy smashing pumpkins on front).
              As a point of interest... the 'boy' on the front is a member of a group group 'The Smashing Pumpkins'... hence the cover shot!

Another vote from me for Syl Arena's book, excellent.

Hope you get to grips with it soon! Well worth the practice.

Mike
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

Comment

Read the flash book from photonotes.org and strobist.com 101. Practice.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Comment

Another for Syl Arena's book and also for Smashing Pumkins... good band
                    David

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                      As a point of interest... the 'boy' on the front is a member of a group group 'The Smashing Pumpkins'... hence the cover shot!

Another vote from me for Syl Arena's book, excellent.

Hope you get to grips with it soon! Well worth the practice.

Mike
                      Er, sorry Mike, the boy on the cover is Syl's eldest Son, Vin, (I only know because it says so in the book, page 323) - might be wrong but don't think he has anything to do with the group

Ian
                      EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

I'm glad I read this series of replies before I posted. I've just been given a second hand Speedlite 430EX and the manual and all the terminology confuses me so I'd like to read something that explains second curtain sync and all the other odd terms I don't understand.

Looks like the Syl Arena book is the one to help although has anyone used the "Canon Speedlite System Digital Field Guide" by M Corsentino?

Comment

I recommend that you buy the hardcopy and not the Kindle version. On the Kindle the pictures are somewhat dissociated from the text, and can't be zoomed. Also some of the text characters e.g. 1/1000 are an image which again can't be zoomed so my poor old eyes can't really read what it says.
                          Russell
                          Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Sometime reading doesn't work for me and I have to "see" the how to.

This is what made it click for me.

In this episode Mark will show how some cameras offer the ability to fire the flash at just before the second curtain closes. This is called rear or second c...
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the tip Columbarius and DeeGee - this looks like a very good resource on YouTube. A timely suggestion as I was just trying to understand second curtain last night and wondering when I would use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X