Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First go at product photography - Lighting discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First go at product photography - Lighting discussion.

Last week I made my own lightbox frame out of plumbing overflow pipe. Wasn't a bad set up and last night I purchased a long piece (A1) of watercolour paper in brilliant white and a piece of glass A2 size for the base. I only have one flash and a reflector and this is one of the shots I came up with.

105mm
    f/8
    1/40th
    Flash was 1/64th power and 24mm zoom. I tried to get the light to bounce around in the white surfaces. Sounded right in my head lol

The harsh shadow I presumed could be corrected with a secondary light, however, both lights would need to be softened either with a softbox or other? I heard the larger the light source the softer the shadow. Also the further the subject is away from the BG the softer the shadow. I would like to eliminate the shadow all together and retain the reflection so it doesn't look like it's floating in mid air.

I was going to get another flash, and put them on the light stands at 45 degree angles and with either shoot through umbrellas or reflection types.

Do you reckon my way of thinking it correct or am I way off? I don't want to throw a lot of money down the pan with this.

I then went back later and tried this one.

(© put in because my last HTC phone shot was stolen so many times that I lost track)

From the two I think the DOF is way off, and that cane be corrected with some focus stacking if needed. I plan to have the laptop sitting with live feeds coming in from the camera.
    Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by Paulstw; 07-02-2014, 10:24.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: First go at product photography - Lighting discussion.

Paul I would love to offer advice but have not done any of this sort of photography, one question why 1/40th 64th power I will be interested with the advice that will undoubtably come in

Alan

Comment

Paul, before spending money on another flash, look at some of the light cubes that come with 2 lights. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Pr...rds=light+cube. I'v been doing some jewellery pics for a second hand jeweller here in Spain, and without the right equipment it's a nightmare. I'm using a lightbox which has led lights all around the inside of it, I think they cost about €200 - €250. If your shooting anything with a glass surface then a cube is a big help.

John

Comment

I have no idea Alan. I just arrived at that pile of settings and it looked fine with no blown out highlights on the LCD.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
          Paul, before spending money on another flash, look at some of the light cubes that come with 2 lights. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Pr...rds=light+cube. I'v been doing some jewellery pics for a second hand jeweller here in Spain, and without the right equipment it's a nightmare. I'm using a lightbox which has led lights all around the inside of it, I think they cost about €200 - €250. If your shooting anything with a glass surface then a cube is a big help.

John

I did buy 2 100W lamps for the side of my make shift tent but they were drastically under powered and I went off that idea very quickly.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

you can get the light cubes without lights, and use flashes to light it. They do have good diffusion properties, so cut down on harsh lighting.

Comment

I've spent about £45 making my own lightbox frame thought where I can add any manner of material to suit the job. Those lightboxes have limited sizes so you're restricted to the size of things you want to photograph. My frame is 2-3 ft wide and 1.5ft in depth and 2ft high. I think it's just my lighting I need to sort out. Probably two softboxes on stands will help out. I dunno.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

If you have the room, and of course the lightboxes, then thats the way to go. If you can get a sample of a light cubes material, you could try remnant kings in Argyle St to see if they have a similar material save on soft boxes.

Here's a couple of things I'v shot using the light cube

Comment

Nice stuff there. :)

I guess if I did get softboxes I could use them in portraiture too. I am right with the theory of it all though eh?
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

yeah your theory is right lol the big problem is shadows, even in a well lit light cube shadows can sometimes be a problem. Soft boxes will be a big asset for portrait work as well. I used 2 bowens soft boxes on my photoshoot that I posted images of the other day

Comment

Hi Paul, check out this video on Tabletop Studio Lighting

And here is another from Gavin Hoey

Tom
                      Last edited by tesarver; 07-02-2014, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                        Hi Paul, check out this video on Tabletop Studio Lighting

And here is another from Gavin Hoey

Tom
                        Cheers Tom. I'll watch them tonight :)
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                        X