Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an old Elinchrom 500 worth going for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an old Elinchrom 500 worth going for?

I have the opportunity to purchase some second-hand studio flash equipment. I actually wasn’t looking to obtain any, but a kit came my way.

The main item is an Elinchrom 500 head (original model – no frills), together with a 100cm x 100cm softbox and Seconic 308B meter (original mark i). There’s also a backdrop and reflector.

The equipment is old. Am I going to lose out on the modern equivalent – I know that the latest 500 is very sophisticated with transmitters etc. But, as regards the actual flash and the result, is a flash a flash?

I would be using the equipment for group portraits, and I'm quite keen to try still life.

Re: Is an old Elinchrom 500 worth going for?

I think if its the right price go for it,then you can get used to using a flash studio setup and see how you get on.
    No point paying £400-£600 for the latest gear then finding out its not something you'll use that often.Elinchrom is a big name in studio flash so it would be worth finding out how compatible this 500 is with their new stuff if it works OK you could then add to your system at a later date if and when required?

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Re: Is an old Elinchrom 500 worth going for?

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
      I think if its the right price go for it,then you can get used to using a flash studio setup and see how you get on.
      No point paying £400-£600 for the latest gear then finding out its not something you'll use that often.Elinchrom is a big name in studio flash so it would be worth finding out how compatible this 500 is with their new stuff if it works OK you could then add to your system at a later date if and when required?

Paul
      Thanks for reply. I should have put in the post that I've got the gear 'on trial' as it belongs to a friend, so I've had a go with a Canon 5D MK II. It all works OK. I agree with what you are saying, it was just the thought of whether the new gear would give a 'better' result and I guess you're saying no but perhaps it may be easier to achieve the same result.

The right price is perhaps more difficult. The 500 is priced at £150, the softbox at £75, the meter at £60, the stand at £50 and backdrop £50. So nearly £400.

Comment

Working...
      X