X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using 2 speedlites question

Hi.

I'm quite new to off camera flash.

If i have a set-up of a Canon 800D with one 430EX III-RT on camera fired to light the subject, but wanted to add another 430EX III-RT off camera to light the background, i understand that the on camera speedlite can be used as a master unit controlling the other off camera speedlight, but would both fire a flash at the same time, or would the speedlite that's on camera only act as a transmitter? If the speedlite on camera would only act as a transmitter would that mean I'd need to use both off camera and put a separate transmitter on the camera?

Thanks

Re: Using 2 speedlites question

You can have the master flash or not according to your preference - see page 53 of the manual.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
      You can have the master flash or not according to your preference - see page 53 of the manual.
      Do you happen to know if the speedlite on camera can transmit a radio signal to the off camera one or is it just optical?

Comment

I suspect it is all in the manual. You can download it (a pdf file) here:--

John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by Djboshh View Post
          Do you happen to know if the speedlite on camera can transmit a radio signal to the off camera one or is it just optical?
          No, that's only optical - you need the st-e3-rt for that (or the better value Yongnuo yn-e3-rt)
          Regards
          Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
          7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
          24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Man View Post
            No, that's only optical - you need the st-e3-rt for that (or the better value Yongnuo yn-e3-rt)
            Sorry Lez - your observation would be true for the 430 EX III, but the 430 EX III RT does fire the slave by radio type wireless (as opposed to Canon's original optical "wireless"). It has optical capability as well so that it can fire legacy flashes which are optical only (but I don't think it can do both at once).

Just to make sure I am right, I have just done the experiment and it fires the slave by radio as I described above.
            John Liddle

Comment

I stand corrected, thanks for the info
              Regards
              Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
              7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
              24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Sorry for a late reply... and a correction

Speedlite 430EX III-RT can work as a radio transmitter and you can choose whether it fires on the camera or not. The 430-EX III-RT can alternatively be set to a radio slave, or an optically triggered slave. So with two 430EX III-RT flashes, one on camera as a master on radio, and one off-camera as a slave on radio. The missing element is that it cannot be an optical master.

However for completeness, the EOS 800D built-in flash can be set as an optical master, controlling slave flashes optically. This means that a pair of Speedlite 430EX III-RT flashes could be controlled individually off-camera by the EOS 800D, at least indoors or low light outdoors.
                I'm a user of all kinds of Canon equipment. I write articles for magazines, teach photographers & make photos
                www.p4pictures.com

Comment

Working...
                X