X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting for large group portrait

Hi All,

I am wondiering if anyone has any advice:

I have a very specific shot to create, a group photo of 8 teenagers and children (3 of mine and 5 of their cousins) this is to be a golden wedding present for Grandma and Grandad - and as I am the guy in the family with a swanky new camera - I got the job.

it will be an indoor shot, I have a room with a plain white (off white, matt) back wall and a very high sloping ceiling the same colour (it will be out of shot)

I have a 600d with on camera flash and two old flash guns.

The flash guns work well off those small slave triggers (I have one - anyone know where I can get another, the the small cubes with the light cell)

I can get a couple of translucent white umbrella's and reflect the flashes out of them (or should I flash through them like soft boxes?)

how should I set up the lights (where/what position - tall, left and right?) and what can I do about the on camera flash - I need to use it to trigger the others - can I diffuse it in anyway?

last couple of questions:

using two un matched (I assume) flash guns (one an old chinon, the other an old cobra) what would I need to do with the exposure ( I have time, I can take some test shots)

I was going to use AV mode but given there is 8 people to focus on I need a reasonably wide DoF right? - what set up would you use?

Loads of questions there, hope that is ok -

look forward to your thoughts

thaks
    Ian
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Re: Lighting for large group portrait

Hi Ian, I know it's a bit of a "cop out" posting a link, but here goes anyway :-)

On your question about triggers you can get a radio transmitter and two receivers for around £35 on ebay.
    Manual, not wireless ettl.

Trev

Comment

Cheers Trev,

That article is really helpful - I also got some useful info from here www.prophotolife.com he has some great video tips.

I have now found that my chinon flash is no longer working - so I am down to just my pop-up and the cobra - and I have a slave cell for that which works fine. I just purchased a flash holder, stand and white transluscent umbrella - as well as a cheap little diffuser for the pop-up - so will see how I get along with that

Thanks again.

Comment

Having my own set of studio lights I would recomend you trying to hire some,maybe a local camera club has some and give you advice on useing them.

Peter
        There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

For your group a flash will be more than adequate providing the flash has sufficient power. I would estimate that a guide of 40+ will be needed.

Dont be tempted to use a wide angle lens for the group - go as far away as possible that allows you to get the group full frame. I would suggest at least 50mm focal length if you are taking them full length, more if you are doing head and shoulders. This is to avoid perspective issues which give people big noses.

Place the umbrella as close as possible to the group without getting in the way. As you only have one umbrella point it at the ceiling to get it bouncing light. Avoid putting the people against the wall - and least 3 feet I would suggest, to minimise the shadows and get the wall OOF
          ef-r

Comment

Thanks Brian, Coda, great advice.

I may not have room to stand quite so far away, especially if I bring the group off the wall (unless I can get out and shoot throgh the open window) - I'll see how I get on - may have to move out to the garden - I'll do a couple of test shots before the day so I have know what I am doing thanks again

Ian

Comment

A natural pose in natural light can look so much better than a formal pose.

If taking them in the garden get their faces in light shadow and use the flash as infill

Probably 2 rows of people will work best (or even 3 if some are little people) - makes it much easier to take the photo. Use odd numbers in the rows - for some reason humans prefer odd numbers.
              Last edited by briansquibb; 25-05-2011, 07:28.
              ef-r

Comment

Thanks Brian, actually we are trying to recreate or rather 're-visit' a studio shot that we had done 10 years ago - so we kind of wanted to use the same group pose, which was rather informal - it is meant to be the grand kids 10 years on, so they have all grown up quite a bit so the pose will not be exactly the same, but we wanted to reference it if that makes sense

thanks for the advice

Ian

Comment

If your room is not big enough - how about the village/church hall?
                  ef-r

Comment

Working...
                  X