Fill-in flash recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fill-in flash recommendations?

I used to use the flash on my 7d when I needed just a little bit of fill in for the odd portrait but now my main body is a 5d3 and lacks an on-board flash I occasionally find myself wanting. Like today when No. 2 daughter asked for a portrait (to go on the back cover of a book she's having published) but the results from the 5d3 were so poor I turned to my smartphone as I didn't have the 7d with me.

What I really need is a small flash - nothing too grand (I originally typed 'flash' there but thought better of it) as it will seldom be used and only for fill in so any suggestions?

Actually, I do have a couple of flash guns from my EOS film days but understand they're not compatible and may even damage the body electronics.

Cheers,
    John

John I would look at the flashes produced by Yongnuo, they tend to produce products based on the Canon Speedlghts giving them similar model numbers too but at a much lower price point.

Though I'm sure that there's a lot of other Far East companies that have similar products, most of which are reverse engineered from the Canon designs.
    I have a Canon 580 Mk 2 speed light and a couple of Yongnuo ones that are very very similar both in looks and output to the Canon 580.

Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

John - I have the Canon 90EX flash unit (their smallest). Although better than a built-in flash, it is still a bit weedy to be honest. It also lacks the ability to swivel the head etc. MPB have one secondhand for £21.

I also bought the EL100 which has rather more muscle to it, whilst still being relatively light and compact. This is much more versatile and I find it quite useful. There do not seem to be secondhand copies around - perhaps this is a recommendation?
      Last edited by John Liddle; 23-11-2021, 19:56. Reason: Speeling
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Another vote for Yongnuo. I have a mix of both Yongnuo and genuine Canons and they work together seamlessly. How do you plan to trigger it, cable or remote? Remote adds a lot of flexibility.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

John. I have to take quite a large number of ID photo's and also of lads in quite confined dark areas. I have the EL100 and find it more than useful for such task.
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks folks.

I'm leaning towards the EL100 even though it's a bit larger than I'd like I suspect I'll appreciate the extra power and find uses for it. I will have a look at the Yongnuo range, though.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

John - it's not that bulky.

IMG_0905.jpg IMG_0906.jpg
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I have the EL-100 flash and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a flash diffuser to use with it.

Alan
                Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Plastic milk bottle and elastic band works a treat.
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

John, have you seen the Rogue Safari flash booster, cheap and light. Not used one but I hear they work.

Comment

Working...
                    X