Historic cities of Sri Lanka (2)- Revisit 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historic cities of Sri Lanka (2)- Revisit 2013

All visitors and tourists make it a point to visit other historic cities in Sri Lanka, namely to Polonnaruwa (North Central region), & Anuradhapura ( further North). Both were capital cities at one time or the other. In their hey day both cities were resplendant with temples, vihares. As I did not have the time, I only went as far as Polonnaruwa. This city shows signs of Hindu images and temples as in AD 993 the Cholas from Southern India invaded the island and made Polonnaruwa the capital city. They were in turn defeated by the valiant Vijayabahu 1 in 1073 and devoted his long reign to the development of irrigation and Buddhism. He was followed by other great Singhalese kings, the most noted being Parakramabahu, who was called the "great". Around 1293, the city returned to the jungles after the capital city moved southwards.

This city is dotted with all kinds of ancient relics and the best known in the Gal Vihare (Gal meaning rock stone). This Vihare has got the figure of the famous sleeping Buddha, his accolite Mahinda (in the standing position).& other statues. I am just attaching a few images from the Gal vihare. Unfortunately due to the distance from Colombo, the city and images are in a state of dis-repair.

(i) (a) Sleeping Buddha

(b)

(ii) Mahinda

(iii) Other ruins:-

(a)

(b)

Last edited by Nathaniel; 25-06-2013, 17:09.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Historic cities of Sri Lanka (2)- Revisit 2013

Another very well done set Nat

Tom

Comment

Re: Historic cities of Sri Lanka (2)- Revisit 2013

Thanks Tom. It is a pity that the authorities have not paid much attention to these historical relics. I am writing to the Tourism department about it and hope something is done.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
      X