Viharn Sien Chinese Temple, Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viharn Sien Chinese Temple, Thailand

I haven't tried much photo stacking but this subject seemed to me to be a perfect candidate and is a composite of one shot per statue - the flag was obviously flapping around during shots but otherwise I'm pleased at the resultant DOF but felt that I had to mask the resultant colour with a somewhat sepia effect (the statues are actually very dark black). Any suggestions?

This one inside came out more natural but I think I prefer the sepia above

And a couple of days later I returned at dawn to capture the temple from across the adjacent lake. This HDR will no doubt raise some eyebrows but nonetheless, I like it and hope some of you do too

It was a particularly misty, perhaps even smoky morning (Indonesian forest fires?) which is why I shot 4 of the same scene for an HDR but for the purists, here's a more natural version of what I really saw as the sun poked above the distant hill

All critique would be welcome as these are not techniques I'm very familiar with

Thanks for looking

Andy
    Last edited by AndyMackie; 17-01-2014, 10:15.

Re: Viharn Sien Chinese Temple, Thailand

the stacking has worked very well and the sepia toning looks good

Not too keen on the misty scene but the third I could see as a large canvas but with about half the foreground grass cropped off

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Don't think that I can add much more to Stan's critique, other than Thailand is such a beautiful country. Which part to Thailand is the temple Andy?

Tom

Comment

Stan, good advice, thanks - I too don't like the hazy view but my family did so I posted it by way of a reason for the HDR, but whereas I do like the original HDR crop, I do admit that this one with the 3rds at the top of the reeds (more like you suggest) and top of the mountains is more pleasing to my eye:

Tom, thanks as always - the temple is about 20 minutes drive from where you were once stationed and where my home is now, Ban Chang (2hrs from BKK). The reservoir where I shot the lapwings is just 5 minutes away and I've seen sea eagles catching the cat fish at the lake in the shot (but not caught them on camera...yet)

Appreciate the critique, thanks

Andy

Comment

Thats like I was thinking

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Thanks for the info Andy

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Great set Andy, the crop suggestion on the third image from Stan has added to the image
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Well I really like the HDR, and the second version is a cracking shot. I also like the first. Photo stacking is barely even in my vocabulary! I will have to look into it. But the sepia tone is much more pleasing than the black statues I the second.

Thanks for sharing

Richard
                  Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

All great shots, love the sepia version ,really nice scenery in the HDR

Comment

Thanks everyone - don't often get a lot of good press from HDR shots, so I was expecting a bit more of the "I don't usually like HDR, but.." comments. Not that there's anything wrong with such comments but in this instance I do think the HDR shot enhanced the misty original and it seems others agree.

I'll certainly try photo stacking again but perhaps with macro - what got me really interested in it was an A3 shot in a magazine of a small spider at dawn with dew drops all over it, probably one of the best photos I've ever seen. The posted example of stacking above was a little bigger (:-)) and was a composite of 20 or so shots, so plenty of room for small movements in-between shots. Macro DOF is notoriously small and I can see a real use for it there, provided the subject cooperates..

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to look and comment

Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X