Swedish Midsummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swedish Midsummer

June 22nd was the time for celebrating Midsummer in Sweden. It is a big celebration all over the country involves lovely food, flowers in the hair, and erecting a Midsummer Pole. It's a time for all the family young or old. We went to Sätra Brunn in the Sala municipality. A lovely day finshed off with a few glasses of Nubbe!
    Here are some pictures. It was so busy that I just tried to capture the essence of the day. Constructive criticism most welcome as it's the only way to learn. All taken with 24-105mm

1) Thought I'd start by trying to improve photographing red things! (f 14 1/100 ISO 1250)

IMG_48851 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

2) The ladies wear flowers in their hair... and sometimes even the men! (f5.6 1/400 ISO 100)

IMG_495111 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

3) Up we go! ( f9 1/200 ISO 100)

IMG_49471 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

4) Vintage Jag ( f8 1/100 ISO 100)

IMG_48901 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

5) Evening by the Lake ( f7.1 1/100 ISO 100)

IMG_49851 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

6) Midsummer food. Typically Sil, ham, radish, meatballs ( f4 1/60 ISO 400)

IMG_49101 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

Thank you for looking
    Mazz
    “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
    http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Re: Swedish Midsummer

Lovely set of pics, Mazzie!. My boss is from Gothenburg, he was over for most of last week but was rushing back Thursday night for Midsummers as he called it. He described it all, now I see it through your images!

Peter.

Comment

Cracking shots that really capture a flavour of the celebration. I like the vintage Jag shot best.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Cracking shots that really capture a flavour of the celebration. I like the vintage Jag shot best.
        Took the words out of my mouth, that jag is really superb, I like that alot.

Comment

Good set, plenty of variety, and as a typical bloke, I like the Jag shot best also
          Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
          Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks for your kind comments. Actually I like the Jag shot a lot aswell :) I took lots of pictures and binned a few, but generally I was quite pleased with them all. It was a very bright day with little areas that were in shadow. I only took the one lens and wanted to test myself to see what different shots I could get. I must say it's a gorgeous lens.

Comment

Just had a mooch around your web site, and some lovely images in there, it made me smile seeing a tripod among your favourite things.

Don't forget to add the 24-105 F4L to your Gear List
              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks Les. oops yes will do. I just take pictures of things I like .. I've learned so much from people here. I just keep practising and practising. It's the only way.

Comment

Lovely set of images. So thats where our summer has gone then, over to you!
                  Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Originally posted by Jedicolin View Post
                    Lovely set of images. So thats where our summer has gone then, over to you!
                    Yes it has been rather nice. Although we did get a little bit of English rain on Friday. mmm let me see..... lasted all of... 10 minutes :)

Comment

Great set of images. It certainly captured a beautiful, fun day. My favorite is the vintage red Chevy pick-up

Tom

Comment

Thanks Jedicolin & Tesarver. Yes it was a lovely day. Lots to see and do. And some practice for me and my camera also :)

Comment

As has already been said Mazzie, a great set of images, with some that capture the atmosphere of the event.

The downside is that you have now turned the corner that heads in the direction of short days of the Scandinavian winter. Still that's a way off yet

I spent a week in Stockholm in mid-summer, and enjoyed the long summer evenings. On the flip-side, I spent another week in Oslo in Mid-December, so experienced the very short days.

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave_S. Yes I am used to the Swedish winters now. Sunset at 3pm, sunrise about 9:30 am. Some nice photo opportunities though, as long as I figure out how not to over expose all the snow :)

Comment

Lovely images, I was in Gothenburg at the beginning of June and temps dropped below zero at night! Lovely country too!
                              Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X